What is the direction of current flow in coil X when placed near coil Y?

• Thread starter anonymousZ10
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Induced
In summary, the conversation discusses the direction of current flow in coil X and the determination of induced emf and its polarity. The main issue is how to determine the direction of current flow in coil X and what happens when the switch is opened. The conversation also mentions the presence of a magnetic field around coil Y due to the flow of current. However, the correct answer is revealed to be B, although the reason is still unknown. The conversation ends with a reminder of the unanswered questions from post #2.
anonymousZ10
IMG_2589.JPG
1. Homework Statement

Based on what I've got, i guess the answer is A. However, I'm not quite sure of myself.
From what I can see coil Y has its own magnetic field because current is flowing in that coil. When there's a flow of current there will be a magnetic field around it. Thus, placing coil Y close to coil X will produce induced e.m.f on coil X.

The main problem here is how to determine the direction of current flow in coil X ?

well, please correct me if my theory was incorrect

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Z,

You are searching in the right direction and now need something to go by: an equation perhaps ? Could you post the most relevant ?
What determines the induced emf ? And its polarity ?

BvU said:
Hi Z,

You are searching in the right direction and now need something to go by: an equation perhaps ? Could you post the most relevant ?
What determines the induced emf ? And its polarity ?

i've checked the answer just now, guess what, the right answer is B :D
Would you care to help me find the reason why is this
I just don't get it

Well, I tried to help in post #2. THe questions still stand!

Approaching from the other end: what happens when the switch is opened ?

BvU said:
Well, I tried to help in post #2. THe questions still stand!

Approaching from the other end: what happens when the switch is opened ?
I'm still trying to figure out what happens when the switch is opened. lol

Well, you already said it in so many words:
From what I can see coil Y has its own magnetic field because current is flowing in that coil. When there's a flow of current there will be a magnetic field around it.
and what happens to current when that switch opens ?

Oh, the questions from post # 2 Are still open :smile: !

FAQ: What is the direction of current flow in coil X when placed near coil Y?

1. What is induced e.m.f?

Induced e.m.f, or electromotive force, is a voltage that is created in a wire or conductor when it is exposed to a changing magnetic field. This phenomenon is described by Faraday's law of induction.

2. How is induced e.m.f different from regular e.m.f?

The main difference between induced e.m.f and regular e.m.f is the source of the voltage. Regular e.m.f is created by a battery or power source, while induced e.m.f is created by a changing magnetic field.

3. What causes induced e.m.f?

Induced e.m.f is caused by a changing magnetic field. This can occur when a wire or conductor moves through a magnetic field, when the strength of the magnetic field changes, or when the orientation of the magnetic field changes.

4. What are some real-world applications of induced e.m.f?

Induced e.m.f has many practical applications, such as in generators, transformers, and electric motors. It is also used in induction cooktops and wireless charging technology.

5. How can induced e.m.f be calculated?

The magnitude of induced e.m.f can be calculated using Faraday's law of induction, which states that the induced e.m.f is equal to the rate of change of magnetic flux through a surface. The direction of the induced e.m.f can be determined using Lenz's law, which states that the induced current flows in a direction that opposes the change in magnetic flux.