What is the Direction of the Field and Current in a Changing Magnetic Field?

• Thread starter superslow991
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Direction
In summary, the conversation discusses the direction of an external magnetic field and the current in a loop with a cross sectional area of 8.5 cm2. It is determined that the current direction follows the right-hand rule, with the field going out of the page and the current flowing in a clockwise direction. The concept of using the thumb and curled fingers to determine the direction is also mentioned.
superslow991

Homework Statement

A 200-loop coil of cross sectional area 8.5 cm2 lies in the plane of the page. An external magnetic field of 0.060 T is directed out of the plane of the page. The external field decreases to 0.020 T in 12 milliseconds.

Homework Equations

No equation

The Attempt at a Solution

Just trying to figure what would be the direction of the magnetic field and the current in the loop. If the field is going out of the page wouldn't the magnetic flux follow suit? So wouldn't the current in the loop be clockwise? sort of stuck on this part.

Physics news on Phys.org
superslow991 said:

Homework Statement

A 200-loop coil of cross sectional area 8.5 cm2 lies in the plane of the page. An external magnetic field of 0.060 T is directed out of the plane of the page. The external field decreases to 0.020 T in 12 milliseconds.

Homework Equations

No equation

The Attempt at a Solution

Just trying to figure what would be the direction of the magnetic field and the current in the loop. If the field is going out of the page wouldn't the magnetic flux follow suit? So wouldn't the current in the loop be clockwise? sort of stuck on this part.
Use the right-hand curl rule for magnetic polarity of a current carrying coil.
If the field is coming out of the plane of the page, what should be the current direction?

cnh1995 said:
Use the right-hand curl rule for magnetic polarity of a current carrying coil.
If the field is coming out of the plane of the page, what should be the current direction?
That's the problem, right hand rule is kinda tricky for me not sure where to position my fingers for the field going in or out the page

superslow991 said:
That's the problem, right hand rule is kinda tricky for me not sure where to position my fingers for the field going in or out the page
Point your thumb out of the page (i.e. towards yourself) and curl your fingers. Thumb represents direction of the field and curled fingers denote the direction of current flow (CW or CCW).

Likes superslow991
cnh1995 said:
Point your thumb out of the page (i.e. towards yourself) and curl your fingers. Thumb represents direction of the field and curled fingers denote the direction of current flow (CW or CCW).
Thanks a lot

FAQ: What is the Direction of the Field and Current in a Changing Magnetic Field?

What is the direction of a magnetic field?

The direction of a magnetic field is the direction in which a compass needle would point at any given point in space. It is represented by imaginary lines called magnetic field lines.

How is the direction of an electric current determined?

The direction of an electric current is determined by the direction of flow of positive charges. Conventionally, the direction of current is considered to be from the positive terminal to the negative terminal.

What is the right-hand rule in determining the direction of a magnetic field?

The right-hand rule is a mnemonic technique used to determine the direction of a magnetic field in relation to the direction of an electric current. By pointing the thumb of the right hand in the direction of current, the fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field.

How does the direction of a magnetic field affect a moving charged particle?

The direction of a magnetic field affects a moving charged particle by causing it to experience a force perpendicular to both the direction of motion and the direction of the field. This force is known as the Lorentz force.

What is the difference between the direction of an electric field and a magnetic field?

The direction of an electric field is defined as the direction in which a positive charge would move when placed in the field. In contrast, the direction of a magnetic field is the direction in which a compass needle would point. Additionally, electric fields are produced by stationary charges, while magnetic fields are produced by moving charges.