What is the displacement of two cyclists and a fly when they meet?

• Thread starter Wa1337
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary: Thanks for your time!In summary, two cyclists, A and B, with starting positions of 0 km and 70 km, respectively, begin cycling towards each other with velocities of 15 km/h and 20 km/h, while a fly on A starts flying towards B with a velocity of 30 km/h. The fly continues to fly back and forth between the two cyclists until they meet. After one hour, the cyclists are 35 km apart and after two hours, they meet at a distance of 30 km from the starting point. The fly also reaches this point at the same time.
Wa1337

Homework Statement

Two cyclists, A and B, have displacements 0 km and 70 km, respectively. At t=0 they begin to cycle towards each other with velocities 15 km/h and 20 km/h, respectively. At the same time, a fly that was sitting on A starts flying towards B with a velocity of 30 km/h. As soon as the fly reaches B, it immediately turns around and flies towards A, and so on until A and B meet.

(A) What will the displacement of the two cyclists and the fly be when all 3 meet?
(B) What will be the distance traveled by the fly?

Homework Equations

Not too sure about this one... maybe d= vit + 1/2 at2

The Attempt at a Solution

All I know is the answer for a is 30 km/h and 60 km/h for b

Physics news on Phys.org
Wa1337 said:

Homework Statement

Two cyclists, A and B, have displacements 0 km and 70 km, respectively. At t=0 they begin to cycle towards each other with velocities 15 km/h and 20 km/h, respectively. At the same time, a fly that was sitting on A starts flying towards B with a velocity of 30 km/h. As soon as the fly reaches B, it immediately turns around and flies towards A, and so on until A and B meet.

(A) What will the displacement of the two cyclists and the fly be when all 3 meet?
(B) What will be the distance traveled by the fly?

Homework Equations

Not too sure about this one... maybe d= vit + 1/2 at2

The Attempt at a Solution

All I know is the answer for a is 30 km/h and 60 km/h for b

You can work out the closing speed of the two cyclists, and thus the time that will elapse before they meet.
Each cyclist has been doing their speed for that time, so you can work out where they will be.
The fly has been doing its speed so you can work out the distance covered by the fly.

Note:
I think the word displacement in the question, and part A is supposed to be position.
Displacement is by how much your position changes. When the problem starts, no-one has any displacement, though one cyclist is at a position 70km from the other.

So you recommend I draft a rough position vs time graph?

bump: still not getting this any help appreciated

How long does it take the cyclists to meet?

I don't know I'm asking for assistance.

Wa1337 said:
I don't know I'm asking for assistance.

After one hour, where are these two cyclists?

They were originally 70 km apart - how far apart are they after 1 hour?

That will tell you their closing speed.

After one hour they are 35 km apart. Thus, after two hours, they'd meet. I see... :) Now how would I use that in a formula is the question.

Wa1337 said:
After one hour they are 35 km apart. Thus, after two hours, they'd meet. I see... :) Now how would I use that in a formula is the question.

What formula did you just use then?
If you didn't use one, then you don't need a formula now.

If they meet after 2 hours, where is Cyclist A? Where is cyclist B, where is the fly?

Wa1337 said:

Use this answer, and re-read post #2

PeterO said:
What formula did you just use then?
If you didn't use one, then you don't need a formula now.

If they meet after 2 hours, where is Cyclist A? Where is cyclist B, where is the fly?

cyclist a is 30 m distant from start, b is 40 but meets at 30, and the fly is 60 but meets at 30.

I have this feeling that i know what it is but answering it is confusing, like the other two have reached before cyclist a .

Wa1337 said:
cyclist a is 30 m distant from start, b is 40 but meets at 30, and the fly is 60 but meets at 30.

I have this feeling that i know what it is but answering it is confusing, like the other two have reached before cyclist a .

The fly will meet each of A and B frequently during the 2 hours - but Cyclist B will meet Cyclist A only the once.

The fly travels from A - B - A - B - A - B - etc so is always between A and B [or with one of them] When A and B are together, with A, with B and between A&B are all the same place.

Your opening statement could have been more specific.
ie:
A is 30km from his starting point [0] so is at 30km
B is 40km from his starting point [70] so is at 30km
The fly is also there.

PeterO said:
The fly will meet each of A and B frequently during the 2 hours - but Cyclist B will meet Cyclist A only the once.

The fly travels from A - B - A - B - A - B - etc so is always between A and B [or with one of them] When A and B are together, with A, with B and between A&B are all the same place.

Your opening statement could have been more specific.
ie:
A is 30km from his starting point [0] so is at 30km
B is 40km from his starting point [70] so is at 30km
The fly is also there.

Thanks a lot, you really helped me understand this better. From where I started, I actually feel idiotic now haha.

Related to What is the displacement of two cyclists and a fly when they meet?

1. What is the Kinematics cyclists problem?

The Kinematics cyclists problem is a physics problem that involves analyzing the motion of two or more cyclists traveling at different velocities on a straight road. It is a common problem that is used to test students' understanding of kinematics and their ability to apply equations of motion.

2. What are the key equations used to solve the Kinematics cyclists problem?

The key equations used to solve the Kinematics cyclists problem are the equations of motion, also known as the kinematic equations. These equations include displacement (Δx = v0t + 1/2at^2), final velocity (v = v0 + at), and average velocity (vavg = (v0 + v)/2).

3. How do you determine the relative positions of the cyclists in the Kinematics cyclists problem?

To determine the relative positions of the cyclists in the Kinematics cyclists problem, you can use the equation Δx = v0t + 1/2at^2, where Δx is the displacement, v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time, and a is the acceleration. This equation will give you the distance traveled by each cyclist at a given time.

4. What is the importance of including acceleration in the Kinematics cyclists problem?

Acceleration is an important factor in the Kinematics cyclists problem because it affects the motion of the cyclists. Without taking acceleration into account, the problem would not accurately represent the real-life scenario and the solutions would be incorrect. Acceleration can also provide insights into the speed and direction of the cyclists.

5. How can the Kinematics cyclists problem be applied in real-world situations?

The Kinematics cyclists problem can be applied in various real-world situations, such as analyzing the motion of cyclists in a race, determining the time and distance needed for cyclists to overtake each other, and predicting the position of cyclists at a specific time. It can also be used to understand the relationship between velocity and time in different scenarios.