What is the Domain of the Function t^(-1) + 2t^(-2)?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathdad
  • Start date
In summary, the purpose of finding the domain of a function is to understand the possible input values and limitations of a function. To determine the domain, you need to identify any restrictions on the input values. If the domain is not specified, it is assumed to be all real numbers, but it may need to be restricted in some cases. A function can only have one domain, and it is related to its graph by representing the input values on the x-axis. By finding the domain, you can determine the relevant portion of the graph and the behavior of the function in that region.
mathdad
Find the domain.

t^(-1) + 2t^(-2)

Let me see if I get it.

1/t + 2/t^(2)

Let D = domain

D = t is all real numbers except for 0.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
RTCNTC said:
Find the domain.

t^(-1) + 2t^(-2)

Let me see if I get it.

1/t + 2/t^(2)

Let D = domain

D = t is all real numbers except for 0.

yes because at t = 0 it is not defined and at all other t it is defined

FAQ: What is the Domain of the Function t^(-1) + 2t^(-2)?

What is the purpose of finding the domain of a function?

The domain of a function shows all possible input values or independent variables that can be used to generate an output. It helps in understanding the behavior and limitations of a function.

How do you determine the domain of a function?

To determine the domain of a function, you need to look at the input values or independent variables that are allowed in the function. This can be done by identifying any restrictions or limitations on the input values, such as square roots, logarithms, or fractions with denominators that cannot be equal to zero.

What happens if the domain of a function is not specified?

If the domain of a function is not specified, it is assumed to be all real numbers. This means that any input value can be used to generate an output. However, in some cases, the domain may need to be restricted to avoid undefined or imaginary outputs.

Can a function have multiple domains?

No, a function can only have one domain. The domain is a set of input values that correspond to a unique output. If there are multiple domains, then the function would not be well-defined and would not meet the definition of a function.

How does finding the domain of a function relate to its graph?

The domain of a function is related to its graph in that the x-values on the graph represent the input values or domain of the function. The y-values on the graph represent the output values or range of the function. By identifying the domain, you can determine which portion of the graph is relevant to the function and the behavior of the function in that region.