What is the double integral setup for kinetic energy in part (b)?

In summary: This was what I came up with, what do you say?In summary, the metal triangle will have kinetic energy of 6.67J when it is spinning at an angular velocity of 4 radians per second.
carl123
A sheet of metal in the shape of a triangle massing 10 kg per square meter is to be spun at an angular velocity of 4 radians per second about some axis perpendicular to the plane of the sheet. The triangle is a right triangle with both short sides of length 1 meter.

(a) The axis of rotation is the line through the right angle of the triangle and perpendicular to the plane of the sheet. What is the resulting kinetic energy?

(b) The axis of rotation is instead through the centroid of the triangle, or equivalently, through the center of mass of the sheet. That center of mass is two thirds of the way from any vertex to the midpoint of the side opposite it. Set up, but do not evaluate, a double integral which if evaluated would give the kinetic energy of the spinning plate. (The formula for kinetic energy is (1/2)mv2 where m denotes mass and v denotes regular speed, which is not the same thing as angular velocity.)

My solution so far:

a) Moment of inertia

I = 1/2*mrw2 = 1/2 * 10 * 0.5 * 42 = 40kgm2

w2 = v2/r
v2 = wr
v2 = 4*0.5
v = sqrt 2

KE = 1/2 * (2/3 * m) * v2
KE = 1/2 * 2/3 * 10 * (sqrt 2)2
KE = 6.67J

How do I go about part b?

Physics news on Phys.org
carl123 said:
a) Moment of inertia

I = 1/2*mrw2 = 1/2 * 10 * 0.5 * 42 = 40kgm2
The left side has dimensions of mass*distance/time2, but moment of inertia should have dimensions of mass*distance2, so your formula can't be correct.
Also 10kg is the mass per square meter, not the mass of the entire object.

The general formula for the moment of inertia is ##\int r^2dm## where r is the shortest distance to the axis of rotation, dm is the differential mass at that distance, and the integral is evaluated over all of the object's mass.

Then the kinetic energy will be one half the angular speed squared times the moment of inertia. The reason is this: ##E_{kinetic}=0.5\int v^2dm=0.5\int(\omega r)^2dm = 0.5\omega^2 \int r^2dm = 0.5\omega^2 I##

Thanks for your reply, so that means that the answer to part a (6.67J) is wrong. You said Ekinetic = 0.5w2I, am I supposed to find the values of w and I, then plug it into find the kinetic energy?

Nathanael said:
Then the kinetic energy will be one half the angular speed squared times the moment of inertia. The reason is this: ##E_{kinetic}=0.5\int v^2dm=0.5\int(\omega r)^2dm = 0.5\omega^2 \int r^2dm = 0.5\omega^2 I##

carl123 said:
You said Ekinetic = 0.5w2I, am I supposed to find the values of w and I, then plug it into find the kinetic energy?
Yes, but the value of ω is given (4 radians per second) so you just need to find the moment of inertia I.

Nathanael said:
The general formula for the moment of inertia is ∫r2dm\int r^2dm where r is the shortest distance to the axis of rotation, dm is the differential mass at that distance, and the integral is evaluated over all of the object's mass.

Since r = 1 (shortest distance to the axis of rotation)

So I = ∫ 12 dm (from 0 to 10),
I = ∫dm (from 0 to 10) ⇒ I = m (from 0 to 10) ⇒ I = 10 - 0 = 10kgm2

Therefore Kinetic Energy = 0.5 * 42 * 10 = 80J

This was what I came up with, what do you say?

It's not right.

10 kg/m2 is the mass per area, so dm=10dA (where dA is in units of square meters). So then the integral becomes ##I=\int r^2 dm = 10\int\int r^2 dA##

r is not a constant, it depends on which differential section of the area you are considering:
triangleinertia.png

You are going to want to find a way to integrate over the entire area. I suggest using an x-y coordinate system with the origin at the axis of rotation and the x and y directions being along the legs of the triangle. Then ##dA=dxdy##. Try to take it from there.

FAQ: What is the double integral setup for kinetic energy in part (b)?

1. What exactly is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of mathematical operation that involves calculating the volume under a surface in a two-dimensional coordinate system. It is essentially a way to find the total amount of something in a two-dimensional space.

2. How do I set up a double integral?

To set up a double integral, you will need to determine the limits of integration for both variables (usually represented by x and y). This can be done by graphing the function or by using other methods such as finding the intersection points of two curves. Once you have the limits, you can write the integral in the form ∫∫f(x,y)dA.

3. What is the difference between a single and double integral?

A single integral calculates the area under a curve in a one-dimensional space, while a double integral calculates the volume under a surface in a two-dimensional space. Double integrals require two sets of limits and are generally more complex to solve than single integrals.

4. What are some common applications of double integrals?

Double integrals are commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics to calculate things like the mass of an object, the center of mass, or the amount of fluid flowing through a two-dimensional region. They are also used in statistics to find the probability of certain events in a two-dimensional space.

5. Do I need to know calculus to understand double integrals?

Yes, understanding calculus is necessary to grasp the concept of double integrals. You will need to have a strong understanding of derivatives, integrals, and their properties in order to set up and solve double integrals. However, with practice and a solid foundation in calculus, double integrals can be easily understood and applied.

Back