What is the drag coefficient of the cue ball

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the drag coefficient of a cue ball in water. The equation Cd = Fd/ 1/2 pv^2A is used to determine the drag coefficient, where Cd represents the coefficient of drag, Fd is the drag force, p is the mass density of the fluid, V is the speed, and A is the area of the sphere. The area is found to be pi*57.15^2 = 10260.82 mm. Further calculations are done to determine the drag force and ultimately the coefficient of drag, with a final result of 1.26e-4. The conversation also touches on converting units and clarifies that the cross sectional area should
Paulbird20

Homework Statement

hile playing pool on a cruise ship, you accidentally hit the cue ball over the railing and it falls into the ocean below. If the cue ball (a sphere of diameter = 57.15 mm, m = 160 g) reaches a terminal velocity of 1.55 m/s in the water (), what is the drag coefficient of the cue ball in water?

Homework Equations

Cd= Fd/ 1/2 pv^2A
Cd= coef of drag
Fd= drag force
p = mass density of the fluid
V= speed
A = area of the sphere

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok from the above equation i am able to determine all of the items except Drag force

I got the area from pi * d^2 for the sphere (pi*55.15^2= 10260.82)
adn the rest you can fill in

I am stuck trying to figure out the drag force

Physics news on Phys.org

At terminal velocity the gravity force downwards is equal to the drag force upward.

even when in water?

so M * G ---) 1.568 = drag force?

air is less dense than water is why i ask

also converting the Area to m 10.26m is that correct?

if my numbers are correct i arrange the problem

1.56 / (1/2 * 1000*1.55^2 * 10.26)

doing the math Coefficient of drag = 1.26e-4?

i feel like I am making a mistake in converting the reference area since the object is falling

It's the cross sectional area, so pi r^2 is correct, it would be safest to work in metres

Related to What is the drag coefficient of the cue ball

1. What is the drag coefficient of the cue ball?

The drag coefficient of a cue ball can vary depending on factors such as the material, surface texture, and speed at which it is moving. However, on average, the drag coefficient of a cue ball is around 0.47.

2. How is the drag coefficient of a cue ball determined?

The drag coefficient of a cue ball is typically determined through experiments in a controlled environment. This involves measuring the ball's velocity and tracking its motion through the air to calculate the drag force acting on it. The drag coefficient can then be calculated by dividing the drag force by the product of the ball's cross-sectional area and the air density.

3. Does the drag coefficient of a cue ball change with temperature?

Yes, the drag coefficient of a cue ball can change with temperature. As temperature increases, the air density decreases, resulting in a lower drag coefficient. This means that a cue ball will experience less drag when hit at higher temperatures compared to lower temperatures.

4. How does the drag coefficient of a cue ball affect its trajectory?

The drag coefficient of a cue ball plays a significant role in determining its trajectory. A higher drag coefficient will result in a quicker decrease in velocity and a shorter trajectory, while a lower drag coefficient will result in a longer trajectory. This is why professional players often prefer cue balls with a lower drag coefficient, as it allows for more precise shots and better control over the ball's movement.

5. Can the drag coefficient of a cue ball be changed?

Yes, the drag coefficient of a cue ball can be altered by changing its surface texture or material. For example, a cue ball with a smoother surface will have a lower drag coefficient compared to one with a rougher surface. Additionally, changing the temperature or humidity of the environment can also affect the drag coefficient of a cue ball.