What is the drag force on a car traveling at different speeds?

In summary, the drag force on a car with dimensions of 1.6 m wide and 1.4 m tall, traveling at 10 m/s is 68 N and at 30 m/s is 615 N. The equation used to calculate this is D = 0.25pAv^2, where p is the density of air (1.22 kg/m^3), A is the cross sectional area of the car facing the wind, and v is the velocity. However, the book's given answer may differ depending on the assumed drag coefficient (Cd), which can vary depending on the design of the car. The terminal velocity equation mentioned (v terminal = sqrt(4mg/pA)) is not applicable to
sona1177
What is the drag force on a 1.6 m wide, 1.4 high car traveling at

A) 10 m/s B) 30 m/s

I'm getting 68 N for part a and 615 N for part B using equation D=.25pAv^2

P= density of air (1.22 kg/m^3) and A is cross sectional area of obect as it faces the wind). *I plugged in 1.22 for p, 2.24 for A, and 30 for v but this is wrong according to the book. What am I doing wrong?

And I don't think I need it to solve this problem but *v terminal = sq rt (4mg/pA).

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know how you can solve this problem without knowing the drag coefficient (C_d)for the car. The formula you note is for certain shapes with C_d =0.5; a car could have a greater or lesser C_d depending on its design. (Note: The terminal velocity equation you have noted is for a falling object with a C_d =0.5; it doesn't apply to objects traveling on a level surface.)

PhanthomJay said:
I don't know how you can solve this problem without knowing the drag coefficient (C_d)for the car. The formula you note is for certain shapes with C_d =0.5; a car could have a greater or lesser C_d depending on its design. (Note: The terminal velocity equation you have noted is for a falling object with a C_d =0.5; it doesn't apply to objects traveling on a level surface.)

my book says to consider Cd as .5 so I've already included it in the equation. The formula is actually .5CdpAv^2 but my books says Cd is .5 so the equation becomes D=.25pAv^2 so is my answer right? thanks

Looks OK to me. Maybe it's a significant figure thing.

Thank you kindly for all your help!

I'm stuck on the same problem about a car that is 1.6 meter wide and 1.4 meters tall and I have to find the drag force for it at 10 m/s and 30 m/s. But I got the wrong answer when I plugged it into the equation D= .25(rho)(Area)(Velocity^2). I found out that the velocity of Air is 1.29 kg/m^3 and plugged that in for rho but still no luck. Help!

rebprice said:
I'm stuck on the same problem about a car that is 1.6 meter wide and 1.4 meters tall and I have to find the drag force for it at 10 m/s and 30 m/s. But I got the wrong answer when I plugged it into the equation D= .25(rho)(Area)(Velocity^2). I found out that the velocity of Air is 1.29 kg/m^3 and plugged that in for rho but still no luck. Help!
Assuming quadratic drag and that Cd/2 = 0.25,, the equation is correct, where rho is the mass density of air. I don't know what the book assumed or gave for the drag coefficient...a mack truck would have a much greater drag cofficient than one of those modern 'bird shaped' vehicles.

Related to What is the drag force on a car traveling at different speeds?

1. What is drag force and how does it affect objects?

Drag force is a type of force that opposes the motion of an object through a fluid (such as air or water). It is caused by the interaction between the fluid and the surface of the object. The amount of drag force depends on the size, shape, and speed of the object.

2. How is drag force calculated?

Drag force can be calculated using the formula: Fd = 0.5 * ρ * v^2 * Cd * A, where ρ is the density of the fluid, v is the velocity of the object, Cd is the drag coefficient (which depends on the shape of the object), and A is the cross-sectional area of the object.

3. What factors affect the drag force on an object?

The drag force on an object is affected by its size, shape, speed, and the density of the fluid it is moving through. Other factors such as surface roughness and viscosity of the fluid may also have an impact.

4. How does drag force affect the motion of an object?

Drag force acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion, which means it can slow down or even stop the object's movement. In some cases, drag force can also cause an object to change direction or spin.

5. How can drag force be reduced?

There are several ways to reduce drag force on an object, including changing the shape of the object to be more streamlined, reducing the object's speed, or using special coatings or materials that can decrease drag. Additionally, using fluid dynamics simulations can help optimize the design of objects to minimize drag force.