What is the effect of temperature on ligand integrin dimerization?

• Thread starter Quickdry135
  • Start date
  • Tags
    ligand
In summary: Yes, that is a valid approach. This experiment measures the dimerization of ligand-bound receptors as a function of temperature for 3 different RGD-containing ligands: cHArGd, cRGD, and Integrilin. The equilibrium constant K is given for each ligand at different temperatures. At 20C and 40C, Integrilin and cRGD have the greatest degree of dimerization, respectively. To calculate the fraction of total integrin-ligand complexes at 1*10^-6 M, we can use the formula Ka=[X]/[.5*initial complex-x]^2, where X represents the dimer concentration. Then, we can plug in the given values for
Quickdry135

Homework Statement

3 different RGD-containing ligands (including Integrilin) are used to form receptor-ligand complexes, and measured dimerization of ligand-bound receptors as a fuction of temperature in the range 20-40C using a variety of methods. The 3 ligands are cHArGd, cRGD, and Integrilin. The dimerization reactin of ligand-bound receptors can be written as

2RL-> dimer

The values of the equilibrius constant K as a function of temperature for each of the 3 ligands are given in the following table

T (C) Ka, cHArGD (M-1) Ka, cRGD (M-1) Ka, Integrilin (M-1)
20 1.74*10^4 1.79*10^4 5.0*10^4
25 5.9*10^4 7.08*10^4 8.6*10^4
30 1.95*10^5 2.73*10^5 1.47*10^4
35 5.97*10^5 9.85*10^5 2.45*10^5
40 1.79*10^6 3.47*10^6 4.00*10^5

a) which ligand leads to the greates degree of dimerization of the integrin-ligand complex at 20C? at 40C? Calculate the fraction of total integrin-ligand complexes is 1*10^-6 M.

b) for each of the ligands, calculate the Gibbs free energy at 20C

Homework Equations

none given.

The Attempt at a Solution

Ka is the association constant, so the first part is easy. Integrilin at 20C and cRGD at 40C have the greatest degree of dimerization.

I'm not sure how to find the tfraction of total integrin-ligand complexes. The definition of Ka is [complex]/[ligand][integrin] so would the Ka be the same for the [dimer]/[.5*complex][.5*complex] of the same ligand type? Would this a correct dimer concentration? I'm a bit lost here

i know change in Gibbs free energy is [tex]\Delta[/tex]G=[tex]\Delta[/tex]H-T[tex]\Delta[/tex]S. Assuming H does not change, then would [tex]\Delta[/tex]S just be the number of complexes that have changed to dimers since 2 molecules have formed 1 molecule, lowering the entropy. I don't know how to find this change though.

::EDIT:: would the equation [tex]\Delta[/tex]G=-RTlnKeq work for this equation assuming Keq=Ka in this case? I found it under a description of micelle formation.

Any help would be appreciated

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Quickdry135 said:
would the equation [tex]\Delta[/tex]G=-RTlnKeq work for this equation assuming Keq=Ka in this case?
That is the way I read the problem. I don't know of any way to calculate entropy by inspection. It can be derived as:

[tex]\Delta S = \frac{\Delta H - \Delta G}{T}[/tex]

where [tex]\Delta G[/tex] is derived from [tex]\Delta G=-RTlnKeq[/tex]

Last edited:
thanks,

for part A, I was thinking that I could use Ka=[X]/[.5*initial complex-x]^2 to find X which would be the dimer concentration. Then I could use that over the initial complex concentration which is given to find the fraction. Would this work?

FAQ: What is the effect of temperature on ligand integrin dimerization?

What is ligand integrin dimerization?

Ligand integrin dimerization is the process by which two integrin molecules bind together to form a dimer. This is a critical step in the activation of integrins, which are cell adhesion molecules involved in various cellular processes such as cell signaling, migration, and immune response.

What is the function of ligand integrin dimerization?

The function of ligand integrin dimerization is to increase the overall strength of integrin-mediated cell adhesion. By forming a dimer, integrins are able to bind to their ligands with higher affinity, allowing for stronger and more stable interactions between cells and the extracellular matrix.

What are the different types of ligand integrin dimerization?

There are two types of ligand integrin dimerization: homodimerization and heterodimerization. Homodimerization involves two integrin molecules of the same type binding together, while heterodimerization involves two different types of integrin molecules binding together.

What factors influence ligand integrin dimerization?

The binding affinity between integrins and their ligands is the main factor that influences ligand integrin dimerization. Other factors include the presence of divalent cations such as magnesium or calcium, as well as the conformational changes of integrins induced by intracellular signaling pathways.

What are the implications of ligand integrin dimerization in disease and therapy?

Dysfunction in ligand integrin dimerization has been linked to various diseases, including cancer, inflammation, and autoimmune disorders. Therefore, understanding the mechanisms and regulation of ligand integrin dimerization can potentially lead to the development of new therapies for these diseases.

Back