What is the effect of unequal charges on a parallel plate capacitor?

In summary: You are trying to solve the equation for the potential difference between the left plate and the right plate, but you don't get the right answer when you integrate the electric field along the path from one plate to the other. You need to consider whether the middle plate is grounded or not.
bon

Homework Statement

Ok so when you have a parallel place capacitor with a charge +Q on one plate and -Q on the other, you can use Q = CV etc., My question is: what happens when the two charges differ - i.e. one plate is Q1, the other is Q2. What is the capacitance, potential difference etc?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know offhand what the potential difference would be, but I do know that the capacitance remains unchanged. Capacitance is a function of the geometry of the conductors. It has nothing to do with the amount of charge on them.

You can see an example of this in the formula for the capacitance of the parallel-plate capacitor:

[tex]C = \frac{\epsilon_0 A}{d}[/tex]

where A is the area of the plates and d is the distance between them. Those variables characterize the geometric configuration of the capacitor. Charge doesn't appear in the formula at all.

Ok thanks.
I'm trying to work out the problem on this page:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=426237

and trying to understand dadface's post about treating it as two capacitors in parallel. Doesn't Q = CV only hold for capacitors where there is +Q on one plate and -Q on the other..? I'm not sure how his derivation is meant to work...

anyone able to explain why his method works??

He's modeling the sheet charge in the middle as the plates of two capacitors. Think of it as two plates, one with charge Q1 and one with charge Q2, infinitesimally separated and connected by a wire. One of these plates, say the one with charge Q1, along with one plate of the original capacitor forms a capacitor. The plate of the original capacitor has an induced charge -Q1. So you have the same magnitude of charge on each plate, as usual. Similarly, the second pair of plates have charges Q2 and -Q2.

Aha ok i see! Many thanks.

I'm trying to work it out another way, but not getting very far. any help would be much appreciated:

basically - I am trying to say - the potential between the left plate and the right plate should = 0

Now let Qa be charge induced on left plate. Qb charge induced on right plate. central plate has charge q as we know.
I'm trying to work out the E field in the left hand region and the right hand region.

in the left hand region i think it should be E1 = 1/2eA (Qa + Qb - q). In the right hand region it should be E2 = 1/2eA (Qa + Qb + q)

But then when i integrate E.dl along the path from one plate to the other, i don't get the right answer... where am i going wrong?

vela said:
He's modeling the sheet charge in the middle as the plates of two capacitors. Think of it as two plates, one with charge Q1 and one with charge Q2, infinitesimally separated and connected by a wire. One of these plates, say the one with charge Q1, along with one plate of the original capacitor forms a capacitor. The plate of the original capacitor has an induced charge -Q1. So you have the same magnitude of charge on each plate, as usual. Similarly, the second pair of plates have charges Q2 and -Q2.

Was just thinking about this some more. Consider the following.

Left hand plate has charge induced Qa. Right hand plate has charge induced Qb. Now Qa+Qb = 0

But you are saying we can treat the middle plate as half a plate with charge -Qa and half with charge -Qb. But that means the total charge on this plate is -Qa - Qb = 0 since we know Qa + Qb = 0, yet we know the middle plate must have total charge +q. What's gone wrong?

anyone? vela?

Honestly, I'm not very interested in the original problem because I don't think it was well posed, precisely because of the questions you raised, so I think you should post your thoughts and questions in the original thread on that problem. In that thread, ehild touched on your observation when he talked about whether the plates were grounded or not.

ok but how is one to solve it...? Assuming it is a thick enough plate for charge to separate as you say,,>

Related to What is the effect of unequal charges on a parallel plate capacitor?

1. What is a parallel plate capacitor?

A parallel plate capacitor is a device that stores electrical energy by creating an electric field between two conductive plates separated by a dielectric material. It consists of two parallel plates with opposite charges and is commonly used in electronic circuits.

2. How does a parallel plate capacitor work?

When a potential difference is applied to the parallel plates, one plate becomes positively charged and the other becomes negatively charged. This creates an electric field between the plates, which allows the capacitor to store electrical energy. The amount of charge that can be stored is directly proportional to the potential difference applied.

3. What factors affect the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor?

The capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor is affected by the area of the plates, the distance between the plates, and the type of dielectric material used. Increasing the area of the plates or decreasing the distance between them will increase the capacitance, while using a higher dielectric constant material will also increase capacitance.

4. What is the equation for calculating the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor?

The capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor can be calculated using the equation C = εA/d, where C is the capacitance in farads (F), ε is the permittivity of the dielectric material, A is the area of the plates in square meters, and d is the distance between the plates in meters.

5. How is a parallel plate capacitor used in real-world applications?

Parallel plate capacitors are used in a variety of electronic devices, such as radios, televisions, and computers, to store and regulate electrical energy. They are also used in high voltage equipment to reduce the risk of electrical shock and in power factor correction circuits to improve the efficiency of electrical systems.