What is the efficiency of MIT's organic solar concentrators?

In summary, the problem is based on an article about MIT's organic solar concentrators which use a dye layer in a glass window to redirect light to the solar cells on the edges. The absorption re-emission efficiency of the dye is 15% per μm and the typical layer is 5.8μm thick. The solar cell efficiency is 20% and the glass is 2mm thick with a refractive index of 1.52. The questions ask about the efficiency of the system, the size of the window needed for optimal efficiency, and the cost-effectiveness compared to traditional PV cells. The concept is that the dye absorbs and redirects light to the solar cells on the edges, while the rest of the light passes
Feldoh

Homework Statement

This is a problem based off of the article published in Science about MIT's organic solar concentrators.

The arrangement that I'm dealing with is a dye layer in a glass window, with the solar cells on the side of the window.

The absorption re-emission efficiency of dye in the concentrator is 15% per μm. A typical dye layer is about 5.8μm thick. The solar cell efficiency is around 20%. The glass is 2mm thick and the refractive index of glass 1.52.

1) How much of the light emitted in the dye reaches the edges of the window?

2) How large would the window have to be, to have the same efficiency, as if you were to expose the photovoltaic cells around the edges of the glass to sunlight directly?

3) Assuming the cost of glass is negligible (in comparison with solar cells) how much more
cost-effective is solar concentration, as opposed to using the solar cells directly, for a window of 1m^2.

Homework Equations

Snell's Law maybe
Law of reflection

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really even know how to begin. I couldn't get the article so I'm not really even sure as to how they actually work. My understanding is that the dye absorbs the light and redirects it somehow into the solar cells? Then a smaller portion of the light that passes through the glass is refracted to the solar cells as well, while the rest just travels through the media.

I'm not even sure if my understanding is right, and I really don't know where to start.

1) There's a 15% efficiency per micrometer, but photons can hit the plate anywhere so I'm not really sure how to calculate this...?

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone? I still can't get it XD

Feldoh said:

Homework Statement

This is a problem based off of the article published in Science about MIT's organic solar concentrators.

The arrangement that I'm dealing with is a dye layer in a glass window, with the solar cells on the side of the window.

The absorption re-emission efficiency of dye in the concentrator is 15% per μm. A typical dye layer is about 5.8μm thick. The solar cell efficiency is around 20%. The glass is 2mm thick and the refractive index of glass 1.52.

1) How much of the light emitted in the dye reaches the edges of the window?

2) How large would the window have to be, to have the same efficiency, as if you were to expose the photovoltaic cells around the edges of the glass to sunlight directly?

3) Assuming the cost of glass is negligible (in comparison with solar cells) how much more
cost-effective is solar concentration, as opposed to using the solar cells directly, for a window of 1m^2.

Homework Equations

Snell's Law maybe
Law of reflection

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really even know how to begin. I couldn't get the article so I'm not really even sure as to how they actually work. My understanding is that the dye absorbs the light and redirects it somehow into the solar cells? Then a smaller portion of the light that passes through the glass is refracted to the solar cells as well, while the rest just travels through the media.

I'm not even sure if my understanding is right, and I really don't know where to start.

1) There's a 15% efficiency per micrometer, but photons can hit the plate anywhere so I'm not really sure how to calculate this...?

Yes the dye absorbs light one in part of the spectrum, and then emits in another. The glass and dye then acts as a wave guide for light incident upon the face of the glass, from any angle, through the dye with minimal absorption, to the edges with the attached traditional PV.

Abstract of original article:
http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/321/5886/226

http://technology.newscientist.com/...harvest-the-sun.html?feedId=online-news_rss20

FAQ: What is the efficiency of MIT's organic solar concentrators?

1. What are organic solar concentrators?

Organic solar concentrators are devices that use a combination of organic materials, such as dyes or polymers, to concentrate and trap sunlight onto a smaller area, which then converts it into electricity.

2. How do organic solar concentrators work?

Organic solar concentrators work by absorbing sunlight through organic dyes or polymers, which then transfer the energy to a solar cell or photovoltaic material. The concentrated light increases the efficiency of the solar cell, allowing for more electricity to be produced.

3. What are the benefits of using organic solar concentrators?

One of the main benefits of using organic solar concentrators is their potential for low-cost production. They are also lightweight and flexible, making them suitable for a variety of applications. Additionally, their use of organic materials makes them more environmentally friendly compared to traditional inorganic solar concentrators.

4. How efficient are organic solar concentrators?

The efficiency of organic solar concentrators varies depending on the specific materials and design used. However, they typically have lower efficiencies compared to inorganic solar concentrators, but their low-cost production and potential for large-scale deployment make them an attractive option for renewable energy.

5. What are some current and potential uses of organic solar concentrators?

Organic solar concentrators have a wide range of potential uses, including in building-integrated photovoltaics, portable electronics, and wearable technology. They can also be used in off-grid or remote areas to provide clean energy. Research is also being done to explore their potential use in large-scale solar power plants.