What Is the Electric Field of a Coaxial Cable?

In summary: Well, where do you think the charges are located on the inner wire?The charges would be located on the surface of the inner wire and the surface of the metal sheath. Since they cover the same length, the charges would be the same.Yes, exactly. So what is the total charge on the inner wire?Yes, exactly. So what is the total charge on the inner wire?The total charge on the inner wire would be Qenclosed = λL. Is that right?The total charge on the inner wire would be Qenclosed = λL. Is that right?In summary, the problem involves finding the electric field in three different regions (0 < r < a, a < r < b
Kot said:
Now choosing the Guassian surface to be in a < r < b, the total amount of Qenclosed is equal to the charges that were described earlier (on the surface of the wire). So EA = Qenclosed / εo. A is the surface area of the Guassian cylinder 2∏*r*L and Qenclosed = λL. Using these values in Gauss's Law gives E = λ / (2∏rεo).

Yes!

OK, next step: put the Gaussian surface inside the outer conductor, at r = b. What is E there?

EDIT: Never mind, I see you don't need to do this,though it would be educational for you if you did.

So OK, last step is to put your surface at r > b. What is E there?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
rude man said:
Yes!

OK, next step: put the Gaussian surface inside the outer conductor, at r = b. What is E there?

EDIT: Never mind, I see you don't need to do this,though it would be educational for you if you did.

So OK, last step is to put your surface at r > b. What is E there?

I think it should be the same E as a < r < b, but in this case the r has to be greater than b. If that isn't correct then the charge enclosed would be the total of the wire and the sheath.

Kot said:
I think it should be the same E as a < r < b, but in this case the r has to be greater than b. If that isn't correct then the charge enclosed would be the total of the wire and the sheath.

It won't be the same as at a < r < b. Use your formula again for E.

Yes, the toal enclosed charge is now the sum of charges on the inside and outside conductors, i.e. 2λL.

For 'extra credit' you should assume a finite thickness for the sheath, put your surface there and again solve for E. You again know the E field is zero since the surface is inside the conductor, and if you use your formula to solve for Q with E=0 you can deduce what the charges on the inner and outer surfaces of the sheath must be.