What is the electric force of the molecule on the proton?

In summary, we are trying to calculate the electric force of an ammonia molecule on a proton that is 2.50nm away from the molecule in the plane that bisects the dipole. Using the equation F = QE = eE_yj = (-kpe)/(d^3)j, and converting to atomic units, we can calculate the resulting acceleration and get a more accurate answer. This highlights the importance of using appropriate units for atomic scale systems.
Bigworldjust

Homework Statement

An ammonia molecule (NH3) has a permanent electric dipole moment 5.0 x 10^-30cm. A proton is 2.50nm from the molecule in the plane that bisects the dipole.

What is the electric force of the molecule on the proton?

Homework Equations

F = QE = eE_yj = (-kpe)/(d^3)j

The Attempt at a Solution

((9*10^9 N*m^2/C^2)(5.0*10^-30 C*m)(1.6*10^-19 C))/(2.5*10^-9)^3

This gives me an answer of 5.0*10^-13 N, but that seems to be wrong. Anyone know where I went wrong here? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
1. You need to use more digits. My answer is about 10% off yours.
2. Why does this seem wrong? Is it because it's very small? Try converting this to atomic units i.e. eV/nm (electron charge*1V/nm) or calculate the resulting acceleration assuming no other forces (in m/s^2 or nm/ns^2).

The thing about atomic scale systems is that using human scale units is not appropriate. N,m,s,kg just don't make sense as good units, and it makes large quantities seem small and small quantities large.

frogjg2003 said:
1. You need to use more digits. My answer is about 10% off yours.
2. Why does this seem wrong? Is it because it's very small? Try converting this to atomic units i.e. eV/nm (electron charge*1V/nm) or calculate the resulting acceleration assuming no other forces (in m/s^2 or nm/ns^2).

The thing about atomic scale systems is that using human scale units is not appropriate. N,m,s,kg just don't make sense as good units, and it makes large quantities seem small and small quantities large.
Ah, okay I see what you mean. I finally got it, thanks!

Related to What is the electric force of the molecule on the proton?

1. What is the electric force?

The electric force is a fundamental force of nature that describes the attractive or repulsive interaction between two charged particles.

2. What is a molecule?

A molecule is a group of atoms bonded together by chemical bonds. It is the smallest unit of a compound that retains the chemical properties of that compound.

3. How is the electric force of a molecule calculated?

The electric force of a molecule on a proton is calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

4. What factors affect the electric force of a molecule on a proton?

The electric force of a molecule on a proton is affected by the distance between the two particles, the magnitude of their charges, and the medium in which they are interacting.

5. Why is understanding the electric force of a molecule important?

Understanding the electric force of a molecule is important in many areas of science, such as chemistry, physics, and biology. It helps us to understand the behavior and properties of molecules, as well as the interactions between them and other particles.