What is the electric potential energy in joules of two electrons

In summary, the electric potential energy in joules of two electrons separated by 2.43 nm is 1.185 J. Doubling the separation results in a potential energy of 0.95 J. The correct equation for electric potential energy is kq^2/r, rather than kq/r. It may be helpful to provide the specific values used in the calculation for further assistance.
BrianR84

Homework Statement

(a) What is the electric potential energy in joules of two electrons separated by 2.43 nm?
(b) What would be it be if the separation was doubled?

Homework Equations

i think v=kq/r

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) 1.185 J
(b) 0.95 J

i can't figure out what I am doing wrong, I am following the book example.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it would be kq^2/r. kq/r is the electric potential from a single charge. You want to multiply by the other charge to get the potential energy. But in either event, I don't get what you are getting. Maybe you should tell us what numbers you are putting in.

Related to What is the electric potential energy in joules of two electrons

What is the electric potential energy in joules of two electrons?

The electric potential energy in joules of two electrons is determined by the Coulomb's law, which states that the potential energy between two point charges is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the distance between them. Mathematically, it can be expressed as:
U = k(q1q2)/r where k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the two electrons, and r is the distance between them.

How is the electric potential energy of two electrons affected by their distance?

The electric potential energy between two electrons is inversely proportional to the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the electrons increases, the potential energy decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the inverse square law, which states that the electric potential energy is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between two point charges.

Can the electric potential energy of two electrons be negative?

Yes, the electric potential energy of two electrons can be negative. This occurs when the two electrons have opposite charges (one is positive and the other is negative). In this case, the potential energy is negative because the electrons are attracted to each other and work must be done to separate them.

How does the electric potential energy of two electrons change when they are brought closer together?

As the distance between two electrons decreases, their electric potential energy increases. This is because the electrons are now closer together and the force of attraction between them becomes stronger, leading to a higher potential energy. The change in potential energy can be calculated using the formula:
ΔU = k(q1q2)(1/r2 - 1/r1) where ΔU is the change in potential energy, r1 and r2 are the initial and final distances between the electrons, and q1 and q2 are their charges.

What is the unit of measurement for electric potential energy?

The unit of measurement for electric potential energy is joules (J). This is the same unit used to measure other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy and thermal energy. It represents the amount of work required to move a charge from one point to another against an electric field.

Back