What Is the Electron's Momentum After Compton Scattering?

In summary, the linear momentum of the electron just after the collision with the photon is:##\small h/\lambda## is correct for the x-component of momentum of the incident photon. But ##\small h/\lambda '## is not correct for the x-component of momentum of the photon after the scattering.
oldspice1212
A photon with wavelength lambda = 0.1050 nm is incident on an electron that is initially at rest. If the photon scatters at an angle of 60.0 degrees from its original direction, what are the magnitude and direction of the linear momentum of the electron just after the collision with the photon?

Hey guys, was wondering if someone could help me out with this, I understand I have to use conservation of momentum, so I have for x direction (I'll be using y for lambda here): h/y=h/y'+Pecos(theta)

so Pe =cos theta( h/y-h/y' ) but this seems to be wrong, I'm not sure why, I just need to understand why this isn't right, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
oldspice1212 said:
I understand I have to use conservation of momentum, so I have for x direction (I'll be using y for lambda here): h/y=h/y'+Pecos(theta)

##\small h/\lambda## is correct for the x-component of momentum of the incident photon. But ##\small h/\lambda '## is not correct for the x-component of momentum of the photon after the scattering. It goes off at a ##\small 60^o## angle.

Likes oldspice1212
Oh thank you very much I see where I made my mistake :)

Also, note that the photon scattering at 60 degrees does not mean the electron does. You need to use conservation in both directions to find the linear momentum components of the electron. After that you have to find some way of also extracting the wavelength of the photon after scattering.

Also, I really suggest that you use the homework template and fill in the relevant equations. This problem can be tackled with different levels of sophistication depending on how much relativity you know.

Likes oldspice1212
Orodruin said:
Also, note that the photon scattering at 60 degrees does not mean the electron does. You need to use conservation in both directions to find the linear momentum components of the electron. After that you have to find some way of also extracting the wavelength of the photon after scattering.

Also, I really suggest that you use the homework template and fill in the relevant equations. This problem can be tackled with different levels of sophistication depending on how much relativity you know.

Thanks, but I figured it out :)!

Related to What Is the Electron's Momentum After Compton Scattering?

1. What is Compton Scattering?

Compton Scattering is a phenomenon in which a photon, typically of high energy, interacts with an electron and loses some of its energy. This results in a change in the wavelength and direction of the photon.

2. How does Compton Scattering occur?

Compton Scattering occurs when a photon collides with an electron, causing the electron to recoil and the photon to lose some of its energy. This is a result of the photon transferring some of its momentum to the electron.

3. What is the significance of Compton Scattering?

Compton Scattering is significant in many areas of science, including astrophysics, nuclear physics, and medical imaging. It provides important information about the interactions between photons and matter, and has led to advancements in understanding the structure of atoms and molecules.

4. How is Compton Scattering related to X-rays?

X-rays are high-energy photons, which makes them susceptible to Compton Scattering. This is why they are commonly used in medical imaging, as the scattering of X-rays can provide information about the structure and density of tissues in the body.

5. Can Compton Scattering be observed in everyday life?

Yes, Compton Scattering can be observed in everyday life. For example, the blue color of the sky is a result of Compton Scattering of sunlight by the Earth's atmosphere. Additionally, the technology used in X-ray machines and CT scans relies on the principles of Compton Scattering.