What is the energy consumption at a different temperature?

• Thread starter mshah3
  • Start date
In summary, during a 4-hour winter afternoon with an outside temperature of 4° C, a house heated by electricity maintained a temperature of 24° C using 53 kwh of electric energy. The average energy leakage through the walls of the house to the environment was 13250 watts. Assuming that energy transfer is proportional to temperature difference, if the house temperature had been kept at 27° C, the amount of electricity consumed would be ____ kwh.
mshah3

Homework Statement

During 4 hours one winter afternoon, when the outside temperature was 4° C, a house heated by electricity was kept at 24° C with the expenditure of 53 kwh (kilowatt·hours) of electric energy.
(a) What was the average energy leakage in joules per second (watts) through the walls of the house to the environment (the outside air and ground)?
13250 watts

(b) The rate at which energy is transferred between two systems due to a temperature difference is often proportional to their temperature difference. Assuming this to hold in this case, if the house temperature had been kept at 27° C (77° F), how many kwh of electricity would have been consumed?
____kwh

Homework Equations

(a) power = work / delta time
energy transfer = work / delta time

(b) ?

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) First, I converted the 52 kwh to be 1.908e8 wsec
Then, I converted the 4hours to 14400 seconds
Doing so, I found the energy transfer to be 13250 watts for part a.

(b) For the second part I'm sure how to use the temperatures given to find the energy consumed

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the temperature difference in a) ? and in b)?.

energy leakage is proportional to temperature difference... use ratios...

delta t for a = 24-4 = 20

delta t for b = 27-4 = 23

correct?

so how do i use a ratio to get to the energy?

never mind i figured out to use E/T = E/T

just wasnt thinkin

thanks

FAQ: What is the energy consumption at a different temperature?

1. What is energy consumption?

Energy consumption is the amount of energy used by individuals, organizations, or countries. It is measured in units of energy such as joules, kilowatt-hours, or barrels of oil. It includes both direct consumption (e.g. fuel for transportation) and indirect consumption (e.g. electricity used to power appliances).

2. Why is energy consumption important?

Energy consumption is important because it has a significant impact on the environment, economy, and society. The burning of fossil fuels for energy production is the leading contributor to greenhouse gas emissions and climate change. It also affects the availability and cost of energy resources, which can impact economic stability. Additionally, energy consumption patterns can reflect societal values and lifestyles.

3. How is energy consumption measured?

Energy consumption is measured using various methods, including surveys, energy meters, and energy audits. Surveys are used to estimate energy consumption by collecting data from individuals or organizations. Energy meters, such as smart meters, measure the amount of energy used in a particular location. Energy audits involve analyzing energy bills and conducting on-site inspections to identify areas of high energy consumption.

4. What are the main sources of energy consumption?

The main sources of energy consumption vary by country and region, but generally include fossil fuels (coal, oil, and natural gas), renewable energy sources (solar, wind, hydropower), and nuclear energy. However, the proportion of energy consumption from each source can differ significantly. For example, some countries rely heavily on coal for electricity generation, while others have a higher percentage of renewable energy in their energy mix.

5. How can we reduce energy consumption?

There are many ways to reduce energy consumption, including improving energy efficiency, using renewable energy sources, and changing consumption behaviors. Energy-efficient technologies, such as LED light bulbs and energy-efficient appliances, can significantly reduce energy use. Switching to renewable energy sources, such as solar panels or wind turbines, can also lower energy consumption and reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Additionally, simple actions like turning off lights and unplugging electronics when not in use can make a difference in reducing energy consumption.

Back