What is the energy difference between the peaks in the Zeeman effect?

Rayan
Homework Statement
I'm trying to determine the magnetic field of sunspots using the following graph:
Relevant Equations
Formula relating energy and magnetic field:

$$ \Delta E = \mu_B * B $$
But I don't really know how I am supposed to find the energy difference from the graph, how can I know which peaks to use?
Solar2.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Rayan said:
Homework Statement: I'm trying to determine the magnetic field of sunspots using the following graph:
Relevant Equations: Formula relating energy and magnetic field:

$$ \Delta E = \mu_B * B $$

But I don't really know how I am supposed to find the energy difference from the graph, how can I know which peaks to use?View attachment 338179
Suppose someone someone told you which peaks to use. How would you use them? Do you understand how they are produced?

Last edited:
Likes MatinSAR
What specifically is that a plot of? If you can answer that, it may give you a clue as to what your approach should be.

Likes nasu and MatinSAR
What is ##\mu_B##?

kuruman said:
Suppose someone someone told you which peaks to use. How would you use them? Do you understand how they are produced?
I suppose that the peaks can be used to get a difference in the wave number for the transition, and from that I can get the energy difference! Am I thinking right here?

vela said:
What specifically is that a plot of? If you can answer that, it may give you a clue as to what your approach should be.
The intensity of the transitions? But It does not really help me to know which peaks corresponds to the transition I'm looking for

haruspex said:
What is ##\mu_B##?
Bohr magneton

Rayan said:
I suppose that the peaks can be used to get a difference in the wave number for the transition, and from that I can get the energy difference! Am I thinking right here?
The energy difference between what and what? Each peak is a photon energy which is a difference between energy levels. There is also an energy difference between peaks. I suggest that you look up “Zeeman effect”.

Related to What is the energy difference between the peaks in the Zeeman effect?

What is the Zeeman effect?

The Zeeman effect refers to the splitting of a spectral line into several components in the presence of a static magnetic field. This phenomenon is named after the Dutch physicist Pieter Zeeman, who first observed it in 1896.

What causes the energy difference between peaks in the Zeeman effect?

The energy difference between the peaks in the Zeeman effect is caused by the interaction between the magnetic moment of electrons and the external magnetic field. This interaction leads to different energy levels depending on the orientation of the electron's magnetic moment relative to the magnetic field.

How is the energy difference between the peaks in the Zeeman effect calculated?

The energy difference (ΔE) between the peaks in the Zeeman effect can be calculated using the formula ΔE = μ_B * B * g * m_J, where μ_B is the Bohr magneton, B is the magnetic field strength, g is the Landé g-factor, and m_J is the magnetic quantum number.

What are the typical magnitudes of the energy differences in the Zeeman effect?

The magnitudes of the energy differences in the Zeeman effect are typically very small, often in the range of microelectronvolts (μeV) to millielectronvolts (meV), depending on the strength of the magnetic field and the specific atomic or molecular transitions involved.

How does the Zeeman effect vary between the normal and anomalous cases?

In the normal Zeeman effect, which occurs in systems with a total spin quantum number S = 0, the spectral line splits into three equally spaced components. In the anomalous Zeeman effect, which occurs in systems with non-zero spin (S ≠ 0), the splitting is more complex and results in multiple components due to the additional spin-orbit coupling.