What Is the Energy Difference for Argon-Ion Laser Transitions?

• Thread starter LebLlama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lasers
In summary, the difference in energy in joules between the two energy states for the atomic transition that produces these light is six times less than the energy in joules of an argon-ion laser.
LebLlama
Do you fancy argon-ion lasers??

I sure dont. =/

Homework Statement

I dont. This is a practice test problem and I cannot figure it out. Frustrating!

An argon-ion laser emits a blue-green beam of light with a wavelength of 488 nm in a vacuum. What is the difference in energy in joules between the two energy states for the atomic transition that produces this light?

a.
6.18 × 10–20 J

b.
1.05 × 10–20 J

c.
5.10 × 10–28 J

d.
4.08 × 10–19 J

e.
4.76 × 10–24 J

Homework Equations

See below. I am not sure its right though since I am not producing one of the multiple choice questions.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I came up with so far:
so we know the wavelength (l) of the light emitted.

now, E (energy) is h * n (h = Plancks constant, n = frequency)

so

E = h * n

but also, l = c T = c / n (T is the period of the oscillation of the emitted light) which means

n = c / l

so

E = h * c / l

with this formula E can be computed

(c = 3 * 10^8 m/s is the speed of light)
my answer isn't any of the above, however. :(

help? =)

Physics news on Phys.org

Try again. The formula E=hc/l is right, and if you plug in the right numbers, it DOES give you one of the answer choices.

I keep getting 4.07 x 10^-28

Thats a combination of c and d haha. :(

Update(since I know you're all eager to hear about my adventures):

I got it! I just had to convert nm to m haha. Duh.

Oh, and I got 100% on my quiz today!WOOT WOOT!

Id start breakdancing right now out of pure joy, but I don't want to snap my legs.

This means Ill get an A for 2nd semester physics. I got an A in 1st semester too and I don't even like the subject.

*llama dance*

Related to What Is the Energy Difference for Argon-Ion Laser Transitions?

1. What are argon-ion lasers?

Argon-ion lasers are a type of gas laser that uses an argon gas mixture as the active medium. These lasers emit a blue-green light and are commonly used in medical procedures, scientific research, and industrial applications.

2. How do argon-ion lasers work?

Argon-ion lasers work by using an electrical current to excite the argon gas atoms, causing them to emit photons of light. The photons then bounce back and forth between two mirrors, amplifying the light until it is emitted as a laser beam.

3. What are the benefits of using argon-ion lasers?

Argon-ion lasers have several benefits, including high power output, high beam quality, and the ability to produce a narrow beam. They are also relatively inexpensive and can produce a variety of wavelengths.

4. What are some common uses for argon-ion lasers?

Argon-ion lasers are used in a variety of applications, including laser light shows, laser surgery, and in the production of holograms. They are also commonly used in scientific research, such as in spectroscopy and fluorescence microscopy.

5. Are there any safety concerns when using argon-ion lasers?

Yes, there are some safety concerns when using argon-ion lasers. These lasers emit high-powered beams of light that can cause eye and skin damage if proper safety precautions are not taken. It is important to always wear appropriate eye protection when working with argon-ion lasers.