What is the energy of each photon produced in the decay of the pion?

In summary, the neutral pion is an unstable particle with a rest-mass energy of 135 MeV. It decays quickly into two photons, each with a velocity of c. Given a pion with a kinetic energy of 90 MeV, it can be determined that the velocity of the pion is 0.80c and its momentum is 9.6 x 10^-20 kg m/s. The sum of energies of the photons can be calculated using the equation E = pc, which results in a total energy of 181.25 MeV. Energy is conserved in this scenario, with the initial energy of 225 MeV remaining unchanged after the decay.
cashmoney805

Homework Statement

The neutral pion is an unstable particle that decays very quickly after its creation into two photons (“particles” of light: v = c, mo = 0). The pion has a rest-mass energy of 135 MeV. Consider a pion that has a kinetic energy of 90 MeV
1) Determine the v of this pion
2) Determine the momentum of the pion
3) Determine the sum of the energies of the photons

Homework Equations

1) moc2[tex]\gamma[/tex] = KE + Rest E
2) mov[tex]\gamma[/tex] = p
3) Ephotons= pc

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty sure I got 1 and 2. For 1 I added the KE + RE, converted to proper units, and finally got v = .80c
For 2 I got p = 9.6 x 10-20 kg m/s
Now I'm not so sure about #3. I think Ephotons = pc because momentum is conserved, and all of the pion's momentum gets turned into the photons' momentum. However, what about adding up the original rest mass energy + KE of the pion? If I do that I get a bigger energy then if I do pc. Thanks for all the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
cashmoney805 said:

Homework Statement

The neutral pion is an unstable particle that decays very quickly after its creation into two photons (“particles” of light: v = c, mo = 0). The pion has a rest-mass energy of 135 MeV. Consider a pion that has a kinetic energy of 90 MeV
1) Determine the v of this pion
2) Determine the momentum of the pion
3) Determine the sum of the energies of the photons

Homework Equations

1) moc2[tex]\gamma[/tex] = KE + Rest E
2) mov[tex]\gamma[/tex] = p
3) Ephotons= pc

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty sure I got 1 and 2. For 1 I added the KE + RE, converted to proper units, and finally got v = .80c
For 2 I got p = 9.6 x 10-20 kg m/s
Now I'm not so sure about #3. I think Ephotons = pc because momentum is conserved, and all of the pion's momentum gets turned into the photons' momentum. However, what about adding up the original rest mass energy + KE of the pion? If I do that I get a bigger energy then if I do pc. Thanks for all the help!

Just using pure energy conservation, how much energy is there before and after the decay?

Nabeshin said:
Just using pure energy conservation, how much energy is there before and after the decay?
According to my calculations, E before = (90 + 135) MeV = 225 MeV
After E = pc = 181.25 MeV

I calculated p a different way this time, p = sqrt(2mKE) where m is the relativistic mass. When I do this then multiply p by c to get E, I get E = 201 MeV. Oh boy...

edit: actually I'm not sure if that equation works for speeds close to c...

Last edited:
cashmoney805 said:
According to my calculations, E before = (90 + 135) MeV = 225 MeV
After E = pc = 181.25 MeV

Hrm, you're letting the calculations get bogged down too much. The change in energy is zero, right? You know initial energy, so final energy must be.. the same.

I get what you're saying, but I don't understand why the equations don't work here. It seems to me that momentum isn't conserved.

Last edited:
and there is one more part to this problem which I thought I could get myself, but I can't. Here is a pic of the question/diagram

http://i44.tinypic.com/k12kja.gif

Related to What is the energy of each photon produced in the decay of the pion?

1. What is a pion and why does it decay into 2 photons?

A pion, also known as a pi meson, is a subatomic particle that belongs to the family of mesons. It is composed of a quark and an antiquark. Pions decay into 2 photons because they are unstable particles and undergo a process called weak interaction, where they transform into more stable particles like photons.

2. What is the significance of pion decay into 2 photons?

The decay of pions into 2 photons is a rare phenomenon that provides valuable information about the fundamental particles and their interactions. It helps in understanding the behavior of subatomic particles and their role in the universe.

3. How is the decay of pion into 2 photons detected?

The decay of pion into 2 photons is detected through high-energy particle accelerators, where pions are produced and their decay products, including 2 photons, are measured using specialized detectors. The photons are detected as bursts of light or electrical signals.

4. Are there any applications of pion decay into 2 photons?

The decay of pion into 2 photons has applications in medical imaging techniques, such as positron emission tomography (PET) scans, where radioactive pions are injected into the body and their decay into 2 photons is detected to create an image of internal body structures.

5. Can pion decay into more than 2 photons?

No, pions can only decay into 2 photons. This is due to the conservation of energy and momentum, where the total energy and momentum of the decay products must equal that of the initial particle. Since pions have a specific mass and energy, they can only decay into 2 photons with equivalent energy and momentum.