What is the Energy Stored in a Parallel Plate Capacitor?

In summary, a parallel plate capacitor with a positive charge Q on the left plate and a negative charge -Q on the right plate, with an electric field of 100 kV/m and plates of area 2 × 10-3 m2 and spacing of 6 × 10-3 m, has a capacitance of 2.95 x10^-12. To calculate the energy stored in the capacitor, the voltage needs to be found, which is 600, and then the equation PE=1/2CV^2 can be used.
ahazen
Given: There are two parallel plates. The left plate of a parallel plate capacitor carries a positive charge Q, and the right plate carries a negative charge -Q. The magnitude of the electric field between the plates is 100 kV/m. The plates each have an area of 2 × 10-3 m2, and the spacing between the plates is 6 × 10-3 m. There is no dielectric between the plates. Calculate the energy stored in the capacitor.

I found C is 2.95 x10^-12 by taking ((8.85x10^-12)(2 x10^-3))/(6x10^-3).

I know:
the electric field is uniform and that V=E*d
The potential difference is just the magnitude of the electric field times the distance you move in the electric field

When I try to solve for V or PE, I keep getting the Power of ten error.

Can someone please help me?

Thank you:)

Physics news on Phys.org
The value you have for C looks good to me.
What formula are you using for the energy of the capacitor?
Note that in V = E*d, the E is not energy. Also, the potential V is not the energy; it is the energy per charge.

I'm not exactly sure what formula to use. I am kind of stuck.

Thank you so much for your help:)

I figured it out. I had to find the Voltage which is 600. Then plug it into the equation: PE=1/2CV^2

Most welcome!

Related to What is the Energy Stored in a Parallel Plate Capacitor?

What is a Parallel Plate Capacitor?

A parallel plate capacitor is a type of electrical device that stores charge by using two parallel plates separated by a dielectric material. It is commonly used in electronic circuits and has the ability to store and release electrical energy.

How does a Parallel Plate Capacitor work?

A parallel plate capacitor works by using the electric field between the two parallel plates to store charge. When a voltage is applied to the plates, one plate becomes positively charged while the other becomes negatively charged. The electric field between the plates then creates a potential difference, allowing the capacitor to store electrical energy.

What is the equation for calculating the capacitance of a Parallel Plate Capacitor?

The equation for calculating the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor is C = εA/d, where C is capacitance, ε is the permittivity of the dielectric material, A is the area of the plates, and d is the distance between the plates. This equation shows that the capacitance is directly proportional to the area of the plates and inversely proportional to the distance between them.

What factors affect the capacitance of a Parallel Plate Capacitor?

The capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor is affected by several factors, including the area of the plates, the distance between the plates, and the type of dielectric material used. The dielectric constant of the material also plays a significant role in determining the capacitance, as well as the voltage applied to the plates.

What are some common applications of Parallel Plate Capacitors?

Parallel plate capacitors have a wide range of applications, including in electronic circuits for filtering, energy storage, and voltage regulation. They are also commonly used in power supplies, radio equipment, and as sensors in various devices. In addition, parallel plate capacitors are used in high energy storage systems, such as in particle accelerators and pulsed power systems.

Back