What is the entropy change of the meteor

In summary: CMeteor= 450 J/KgCTMeteor= 1250 degrees CTLake= 12 degrees CIn summary, a 3400kg meteor at 1250 degrees C falls into Lake Michigan, which is at a temperature of 12 degrees C. Assuming the temperature of the lake remains constant, the entropy change of the meteor as it reaches thermal equilibrium with Lake Michigan is -2.564E6. To find the total entropy change of the universe, the equation Entropy of universe= entropy of meteor + entropy of lake can be used. To find the entropy change of the lake, the expression for change in entropy and the amount of heat transferred from the meteor to the
kitkat2950
A 3400kg meteor (c=450 J/KgC) at 1250 degrees C falls into lake michigan, which is at a temperature of 12 degrees C. Assuming the temperature of the lake remains constant,

A) What is the entropy change of the meteor as it reaches thermal equilibrium with Lake Michigan?
B) What is the total entropy change of the universe? (meteor and Lake Michigan system)

I was able to get the first part and found the entropy change of the meteor to be -2.564E6, but I'm having trouble with part be. I think the equation I need is Entropy of universe= entropy of meteor + entropy of lake. However, I have no idea how to find the entropy of the lake. Please help. I also know the answer is 4.1E6.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

kitkat2950 said:
A 3400kg meteor (c=450 J/KgC) at 1250 degrees C falls into lake michigan, which is at a temperature of 12 degrees C. Assuming the temperature of the lake remains constant,

A) What is the entropy change of the meteor as it reaches thermal equilibrium with Lake Michigan?
B) What is the total entropy change of the universe? (meteor and Lake Michigan system)

I was able to get the first part and found the entropy change of the meteor to be -2.564E6, but I'm having trouble with part be. I think the equation I need is Entropy of universe= entropy of meteor + entropy of lake. However, I have no idea how to find the entropy of the lake. Please help. I also know the answer is 4.1E6.
What is the expression for change in entropy? How much heat flows from the meteor to the lake? Does the temperature of the lake change during the heat transfer from the meteor to the lake? If you answer these questions, you will easily find the entropy change in the lake.

The entropy change of the meteor is a little more difficult because the temperature of the meteor is decreasing as the heat flows out of it.

AM

A) The entropy change of the meteor as it reaches thermal equilibrium with Lake Michigan can be calculated using the formula ΔS = mCln(Tf/Ti), where m is the mass of the meteor, C is its specific heat capacity, and Tf and Ti are the final and initial temperatures, respectively. Plugging in the given values, we get:

ΔS = (3400 kg)(450 J/kg°C) ln(12°C/1250°C) = -2.564 x 10^6 J/K

B) To find the total entropy change of the universe, we need to consider the entropy change of both the meteor and the lake. The entropy change of the lake can be calculated using the same formula as above, but with the mass and specific heat capacity of the lake. However, since the temperature of the lake remains constant, the final and initial temperatures will be the same, and the natural logarithm will equal 1, resulting in an entropy change of 0 for the lake.

Therefore, the total entropy change of the universe is simply the entropy change of the meteor, which we calculated in part A:

ΔS = -2.564 x 10^6 J/K

This means that the total entropy of the universe decreases as the meteor reaches thermal equilibrium with the lake, indicating a decrease in disorder or randomness. However, this decrease in entropy is only temporary and will eventually increase again due to natural processes.

Related to What is the entropy change of the meteor

What is the entropy change of the meteor?

The entropy change of the meteor refers to the change in disorder or randomness of the meteor as it travels through space and interacts with its surroundings.

How is the entropy change of the meteor calculated?

The entropy change of the meteor can be calculated using the equation ΔS = Q/T, where ΔS is the change in entropy, Q is the heat transferred, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

What factors affect the entropy change of the meteor?

The entropy change of the meteor can be affected by various factors such as the meteor's mass, velocity, composition, and the temperature and composition of its surroundings.

Why is the entropy change of the meteor important to study?

Studying the entropy change of the meteor can provide valuable information about the thermodynamic processes involved in its journey through space and help us understand the overall behavior of the meteor in the universe.

How does the entropy change of the meteor relate to the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that in any natural process, the total entropy of the universe will always increase. The entropy change of the meteor follows this law as it moves through its environment, exchanging heat and energy and increasing the overall entropy of the universe.