What Is the Equation for a Locus Equidistant from the X and Y Axes?

In summary, a locus is a set of points that satisfy a given condition. Equidistant means that the distance between any point on the locus and two given points (the x and y axis) is the same. This distance can be determined using the Pythagorean theorem. When a point is equidistant from the x and y axis, it means the distance between the point and both axes is the same. This concept can be applied in real life, such as locating a satellite, determining the center of a circle, or identifying the epicenter of an earthquake.
aisha
How would you do this question determine the equation of the locus

Locus whose points are equidistant from the x and y axis? :cry:

I HATE LOCUS!

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] y = \pm x[/tex]?

I don't know that's all the information given I don't know what to do please help :cry:

yes I think that is the answer thanks lol I am so dumb :redface:

FAQ: What Is the Equation for a Locus Equidistant from the X and Y Axes?

1. What is the definition of a locus?

A locus is a set of all points that satisfy a given condition or set of conditions.

2. What does the term "equidistant" mean in relation to a locus?

Equidistant means that the distance between any point on the locus and two given points (in this case, the x and y axis) is the same.

3. How is the distance between a point and the x or y axis determined?

The distance between a point and the x or y axis is determined using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the hypotenuse (the distance between the point and the origin) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides (the distance between the point and the x or y axis).

4. What does it mean for a point to be equidistant from the x and y axis?

When a point is equidistant from the x and y axis, it means that the distance between the point and the x axis is the same as the distance between the point and the y axis.

5. How can the concept of a locus with points that are equidistant from the x and y axis be applied in real life?

This concept can be applied in real life in various situations, such as determining the location of a satellite that is orbiting around the Earth, finding the center point of a circle, or identifying the location of an epicenter during an earthquake.

Back