What is the equation for calculating signal-to-noise ratio in astronomy?

In summary, the conversation discusses the observation of a star with a count rate of 0.1 counts per second and a background of 0.05 counts per second. The question is how long it would take to detect 100 counts from the star. The answer is 1000 seconds. The conversation also mentions the signal-to-noise ratio which is proportional to the exposure time and can be calculated using the equation S/N = 2 * sqrt(t).
leonmate

Homework Statement

You observe a star with a count rate of 0.1 counts per second and the background
is 0.05 counts per second.
(a) How long do you need to observe for in order to detect 100 counts from the
star? [2] - 1000 seconds
(b) Estimate the signal-to-noise reached in the exposure time from (a) (assuming
the background is the only source of noise).

for a snapshot i know that S/N = 0.1/0.05 = 2 sigma
this isn't really considered a result in astronomy.
However if the exposure time is increased the S/N ratio also increases and really I just need an equation so I can calculate it!

I know that S is proportional to t
N is proportional to the square root of t

A bit of help would be appriciated, can't seem to find what I'm after on google, and it seems like it's going to be really simple! Just need the damn equations!

Physics news on Phys.org
Homework EquationsS = Signal N = Noise t = time The Attempt at a Solution S/N = Signal / Noise S/N = S / sqrt(N) S/N = (0.1 * t) / sqrt(0.05 * t) S/N = 2 * sqrt(t)

Related to What is the equation for calculating signal-to-noise ratio in astronomy?

What is signal to noise ratio in astronomy and why is it important?

In astronomy, signal to noise ratio (SNR) is a measure of the strength of a signal compared to the background noise. It is important because it affects the quality and reliability of data, as a higher SNR indicates a stronger and clearer signal.

How is signal to noise ratio calculated in astronomy?

The SNR is calculated by dividing the signal by the standard deviation of the background noise. In astronomy, this is often expressed in magnitudes, where a higher SNR corresponds to a lower magnitude value.

What can affect the signal to noise ratio in astronomical observations?

The SNR can be affected by various factors such as instrumental noise, atmospheric conditions, and the brightness of the observed object. Other factors such as exposure time and telescope optics can also impact the SNR.

What is the ideal signal to noise ratio in astronomy?

The ideal SNR in astronomy depends on the specific type of observation and the desired level of accuracy. In general, a higher SNR is preferred as it results in more reliable and precise data.

How can astronomers improve the signal to noise ratio in their observations?

Astronomers can improve the SNR by using advanced instruments with better sensitivity and noise reduction capabilities. They can also employ techniques such as stacking multiple images or adjusting exposure times to increase the SNR.