What is the equation for determining the magnitude of a vector in 2D space?

In summary: The Attempt at a SolutionSo what is the point of this equation? I think the point of this equation is to find the magnitude of a vector.
CivilSigma

Homework Statement

For any vector in 2D space, it can be broken down into its horizontal and vertical components.

Homework Equations

In one of my engineering classes, we are using the following equation to determine the magnitude of a vector:

$$u=v_1 \cdot cos\theta +u_2 \cdot sin\theta$$

Where $\theta$ is the angle with respect to the horizontal, v1 is the horizontal component and v2 is the vertical component of the vector.

I know this equation works but I don't understand why.
I feel like I am missing a fundamental concept, because to determine the magnitude of a vector, I would use Pythagoras theorem, and I cannot derive the above equation from Pythagoras's equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you provide some context for where this equation is applied? Perhaps give a specific example.

In general, this equation will not work for a single vector whose x and y components are ##u_1## and ##u_2##. Perhaps they are summing the horizontal components of two different vectors to obtain a net horizontal resultant?

That equation doesn't give the magnitude of the vector. It gives you the component of the vector in the direction of ##\hat n = \cos\theta\,\hat i + \sin\theta\,\hat j##.

CivilSigma said:
In one of my engineering classes, we are using the following equation to determine the magnitude of a vector:
u=v1⋅cosθ + u2⋅sinθ​

Where $\theta$ is the angle with respect to the horizontal, v1 is the horizontal component and v2 is the vertical component of the vector.

I know this equation works but I don't understand why.

It comes from geometry... See this diagram... If that's not clear do say and I will explain some more.

Magnitude of Vector.png

Attachments

• Magnitude of Vector.png
    Magnitude of Vector.png
    5.3 KB · Views: 555
Likes CivilSigma
I think you meant to write the equation as $$u=u_1\cos{\theta}+u_2\sin{\theta}\tag{1}$$where $$u_1=u\cos{\theta}\tag{2}$$and$$u_2=u\sin{\theta}\tag{3}$$If you substitute Eqns. 2 and 3 into Eqn. 1, you get:
$$u=u\cos^2{\theta}+u\sin^2{\theta}=u$$

Likes CivilSigma and SammyS

Related to What is the equation for determining the magnitude of a vector in 2D space?

What is the definition of magnitude?

The magnitude of a vector is the length or size of the vector. It is a scalar quantity that describes the distance from the origin to the tip of the vector.

How is magnitude calculated?

The magnitude of a vector is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the square of the magnitude is equal to the sum of the squares of the vector's components. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using trigonometric functions.

What is the difference between magnitude and direction?

Magnitude and direction are two components that make up a vector. Magnitude refers to the length or size of the vector, while direction refers to the angle at which the vector is pointing.

Can the magnitude of a vector be negative?

No, the magnitude of a vector is always a positive value. It represents the distance from the origin and does not have a direction associated with it.

Why is magnitude important in physics and engineering?

Magnitude is important in physics and engineering because it helps to describe the strength or intensity of a physical quantity. For example, in mechanics, the magnitude of a force determines how much an object will accelerate. In electrical circuits, the magnitude of voltage or current determines the power of the circuit.