What is the equation of the circumcircle of triangle PAB?

• Thread starter utkarshakash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circle
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equation of circumcircle of a triangle formed by points P, A, and B on a given circle. The chord of contact is equal to -x+3y+1=0 and is also the radical axis of the two circles. The conversation also mentions Thales' theorem and its converse to prove that the circumcircle passes through the center of the given circle. However, there is disagreement on whether the center of the given circle is also a point on the circumference of the circumcircle. The conversation also references another thread discussing a related problem.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Tangents drawn from a point P(2,3) to the circle $$x^2+y^2-8x+6y+1=0$$ touch the circle at the points A and B. Find equation of circumcircle of the ΔPAB.

The Attempt at a Solution

The chord of contact is equal to -x+3y+1=0. This is also the radical axis of the given circle and circumcircle. Let equation of circumcircle be S' and given circle be S.

Then S-S' = -x+3y+1

But the above equation does not seem to give the correct equation of circumcircle as it does not satisfy P.

Physics news on Phys.org
utkarshakash said:
Then S-S' = -x+3y+1

This is definitely incorrect. There could be infinite solutions to S' sharing the same chord with S. Instead, try writing down the family of circles passing through the points of intersection of a given circle and a given chord i.e ##S+\lambda L=0##. Plug in (2,3) to find a value for ##\lambda##.

Btw, the circumcircle passes through centre of given circle. I don't see how to proof this but if somebody can prove this, then its a one or two line problem.

See picture. What are the yellow angles, the tangent lines make with the radii?

Remember Thales' Theorem and its converse http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thales'_theorem

ehild

Attachments

• circles.JPG
    circles.JPG
    8.7 KB · Views: 461
Likes 2 people
ehild said:
See picture. What are the yellow angles, the tangent lines make with the radii?

Remember Thales' Theorem and its converse http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thales'_theorem

ehild

Ah, that is so neat, thanks ehild! :cool:

You are welcome:smile:

ehild

Pranav-Arora said:
Btw, the circumcircle passes through centre of given circle. I don't see how to proof this but if somebody can prove this, then its a one or two line problem.

I think I must be missing something here in the comments by Pranav-Arora and ehild. I interpret it that you are both saying that the if there is a circle that contains on its circumference the point P and the two points A and B, which are on the original circle at the point where a line from P is tangent to the original circle, thus making it a circumcircle of the chord ABP then that circle ALSO contains the center of the given circle as a point on its circumference? Is that how I should be interpreting what you are saying? I assume not, since it so clearly is not true but I can't figure out how else to interpret what you are saying.

phinds said:
Is that how I should be interpreting what you are saying?
Yes, that's what we are saying. :)
I assume not, since it so clearly is not true but I can't figure out how else to interpret what you are saying.
Why not?

Remember Thales' Theorem. The converse of Thales' theorem states that a right triangle's hypotenuse is a diameter of its circumcircle. See the picture: there are two right triangles, with common hypotenuse. Are A, B, P and the centre of the given circle all on the same circle?
ehild

Last edited:
Damn. It is, isn't it. My bad, clearly. I thought that as the point approached the circle, the radius of the circumcircle would get smaller and smaller. Shows what my intuition is worth, huh? :smile:

phinds said:
Damn. It is, isn't it. My bad, clearly. I thought that as the point approached the circle, the radius of the circumcircle would get smaller and smaller. Shows what my intuition is worth, huh? :smile:

Yes it gets smaller and smaller but does not go down to zero ...

ehild

ehild said:
Yes it gets smaller and smaller but does not go down to zero ...

ehild

Yeah, as the distance from the point to the circle approaches zero the radius of the circumcircle in question approaches the radius of the original circle, not zero as I mistakenly intuited it.

@utkarshakash: Do you see the one line solution? :)

Pranav-Arora said:
@utkarshakash: Do you see the one line solution? :)

Actually my book already contains that "one line solution" which states that P and the centre of circle are diametrically opposite points of the circumcircle. Initially you correctly pointed out that the centre of given circle will lie on the circumcircle but I was waiting for someone to explain why this is true and it seems like ehild did the job pretty well. Thanks to all of you :)

phinds said:
Yeah, as the distance from the point to the circle approaches zero the radius of the circumcircle in question approaches the radius of the original circle, not zero as I mistakenly intuited it.

Jeez ... I haven't gotten ANYTHING right in this. The above is a mis-statement. I meant (or should have meant) that the DIAMETER of the circumcircle approaches the radius of the original circle.

I think maybe I should give up math.

Or just keep my mouth shut.

Possibly both

:smile:

utkarshakash said:
Actually my book already contains that "one line solution" which states that P and the centre of circle are diametrically opposite points of the circumcircle. Initially you correctly pointed out that the centre of given circle will lie on the circumcircle but I was waiting for someone to explain why this is true and it seems like ehild did the job pretty well. Thanks to all of you :)

Do you have more of these? You haven't posted a lot in Math section recently. :3

Pranav-Arora said:
Do you have more of these? You haven't posted a lot in Math section recently. :3

I know it's been a while since I posted in the Math section. It's because I already have the solutions to these problems and I can look them up whenever I want. It saves a lot of time.

btw, have a look at this thread

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=753528

utkarshakash said:

I already did but haven't been able to come up with any answer. Do you have a solution or final answer to this? I doubt the solution involves the method Ray Vickson has shown.

Pranav-Arora said:
I already did but haven't been able to come up with any answer. Do you have a solution or final answer to this? I doubt the solution involves the method Ray Vickson has shown.

I couldn't understand his method as well. I don't have the final answers either. So ultimately I left the question.

Quite late to post here.

Using one point form :

Tangent is y-3=m(x-2)

Now using perpendicular distance of this line from circle = Radius, you get two values of m. Consequently you can get points A and B by making the two equations identical to their point form one by one.

Then you get coordinates A and B.

Now I hope you can find the equation of circle through 3 points.

Related to What is the equation of the circumcircle of triangle PAB?

1. What is a tangent line?

A tangent line is a straight line that touches a circle at exactly one point, known as the point of tangency. This line is perpendicular to the radius of the circle at the point of tangency.

2. How many tangents can be drawn to a circle?

There can be an infinite number of tangents that can be drawn to a circle. This is because any line that passes through the center of the circle will be a tangent to the circle at that point.

3. How do you find the length of a tangent line?

The length of a tangent line can be found using the Pythagorean theorem. If the length of the radius is known, the length of the tangent line can be calculated by squaring the radius and subtracting the square of the distance from the center of the circle to the point of tangency. Then, taking the square root of this difference will give the length of the tangent line.

4. Can a tangent line intersect a circle at more than one point?

No, a tangent line can only intersect a circle at one point. This is because the definition of a tangent line is that it touches the circle at exactly one point and is perpendicular to the radius at that point. Any line that intersects a circle at more than one point is not a tangent line.

5. Are all tangent lines to a circle equal in length?

No, not all tangent lines to a circle are equal in length. The length of a tangent line depends on its distance from the center of the circle. Tangent lines that are closer to the center of the circle will be shorter, while tangent lines that are farther away from the center will be longer.