What Is the Equation to Minimize the Cost of a Cylinder with Given Volume?

• Thread starter skies222
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the minimum cost of a cylinder made from a material that costs x dollars per square inch with an additional cost of fabrication given by n dollars per inch of the circumference of the top and bottom of the can. The goal is to find an algebraic equation with the solution being the radius of the can of a given volume V. The cost is calculated by adding the cost of material, which is twice the area of the circles and the area of the rest, and the cost of fabrication, which is twice the circumference of the top and bottom of the can. The equation can be simplified by substituting the value of l in the initial equation, and then differentiating it with respect to r to find
skies222
Sorry to post another problem, but hey, the more the marrier, right? :smile:

Homework Statement

maxima/minima problem
2)a cylinder, including top and bottom, is made from material which costs "x" dollars per square inch. Suppose there is an additional cost of fabrication given by "n" dollars per inch of the circumfrence of the top and bottom of the can. find an algerbraic equation whose solution would be he radius ,r, of the can of given volume, V, whose cost is a minimum.
* Do not have to solve equation, just find a algerbraic solution

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried this one, and I think I may be overthinking it. Would the equation just consists of the volume of the cone (equalling the money for the material) plus the additional amount of the circumfrence of top and bottom (so two times the circumfrence) for the entire cost of the can?

Once again, thanks again!

Physics news on Phys.org
By the way it's worded it looks like your cost will depend on the total surface area of the closed cylinder - that is twice the area of the circles and the area of the rest. That part about the cost being n times the circumfrence also seems ambiguous - I can't really tell if they want the total circumfrence of the top and bottom or just the circumfrence of either.

I get what you mean, and agree about the surface area. It seems I was underestimating the problem before, haha. The circumference aspect asks for both, the top and bottom, (so 2 times that). I've been messing around with it and I know that once you differntiate the problem, you should just be left with pi,r,n and x in the answer since V is a constant and the problem doesn't want anything else in the answer.

Here, the cost of material: [tex]((2\ pi)r^2+ (2 \pi)rl)x[/tex]
cost of fabrication: [tex](2 \pi r)n[/tex]
Hence, the total cost is the sum of the above;
It is also given that the volume of the cylinder is constant, so
[tex]V=\pi r^2 l[/tex]
from which you get [tex]l= \frac{V}{\pi r^2}[/tex]
substituting the value of l in the initial equation gives you your equation.

You can differentiate this equation w.r.t r and get your solution.

Last edited:

Related to What Is the Equation to Minimize the Cost of a Cylinder with Given Volume?

1. What is a maximum/minimum problem?

A maximum/minimum problem is a type of optimization problem in mathematics and science that involves finding the highest or lowest value of a given function within a specified domain or set of constraints.

2. How do you solve a maximum/minimum problem?

To solve a maximum/minimum problem, you typically need to use calculus techniques such as differentiation and critical point analysis. This involves finding the derivative of the given function and setting it equal to zero to find the critical points. Then, you can use the first or second derivative test to determine whether each critical point is a maximum or minimum.

3. What is the importance of maximum/minimum problems in science?

Maximum/minimum problems are important in science because they allow us to optimize and improve various processes and systems. For example, in physics, maximum/minimum problems are used to determine the optimal trajectory for a projectile. In chemistry, they can be used to find the most stable molecular structure. In biology, they can help us understand the optimal conditions for growth and development.

4. Can maximum/minimum problems have multiple solutions?

Yes, maximum/minimum problems can have multiple solutions, especially if the given function is not continuous or has multiple critical points. In some cases, there may be a global maximum/minimum and multiple local maximums/minimums.

5. Are there any real-world applications of maximum/minimum problems?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of maximum/minimum problems across various fields such as economics, engineering, and computer science. For example, in economics, maximum/minimum problems can be used to determine the optimal production level for a company. In engineering, they can help optimize the design of structures or machines. In computer science, they are used in optimization algorithms for tasks such as route planning and resource allocation.