What Is the Equilibrium Pressure Inside Two Connected Containers of Ideal Gas?

• Thread starter Aestus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, the question asks to find the equilibrium pressure inside two rigid containers connected by a thin tube with a valve, containing the same type of ideal gas. The containers have different initial pressures and temperatures, but the temperatures are maintained when the valve is opened. Using the equation PV=nRT, the final pressure is found to be Pf = ((P1/T1 + 3P2/T2)/(1/T1 + 3/T2)). This can be simplified to Pf = ((P1T2 + 3P2T1)/(T2 + 3T1)).
Aestus

Homework Statement

Two rigid containers contain the same type of ideal gas and are connected by a thin tube with a valve. Container two is 3 times the volume of container 1. The initial pressures inside the containers are different, as are the temperatures. When the valve is opened, the temperatures inside the containers are maintained. Find an expression for the equilibrium pressure inside the containers.

Homework Equations

PV = nRT[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

P1V1=n1RT1 and P2V2=n2RT2
But, V2=3V1
Total volume = V1 + V2, but V2 = 3V1

ΣV=(n1RT1)/P1+(n2RT2)/3P2
I decided to take the molar volume, as I can't calculate the number of moles, But I'm not sure if i can do this
ΣV,m=(RT1)/P1+(RT2)/3P2

It's this step that really stumps me, because the temperature inside the two tanks are maintained at different values, so for this last step I took the average temperature.

P3ΣV,m=RT3 where P3 is the equilibrium temp and T3 is the average temperature of the two tanks.
P3((RT1)/P1+(RT2)/3P2)=RT3

After some rearranging i come to the answer P3=T3/((T1/P1)+(T2/3P2))

My real questions are, was I correct in taking the molar volume, and am I incorrect in taking the average temperature of the two tanks?

Sorry for the hard to read formatting, it's my first time posting on here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Aestus said:

Homework Statement

Two rigid containers contain the same type of ideal gas and are connected by a thin tube with a valve. Container two is 3 times the volume of container 1. The initial pressures inside the containers are different, as are the temperatures. When the valve is opened, the temperatures inside the containers are maintained. Find an expression for the equilibrium pressure inside the containers.

Homework Equations

PV = nRT[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

P1V1=n1RT1 and P2V2=n2RT2
But, V2=3V1
Total volume = V1 + V2, but V2 = 3V1

ΣV=(n1RT1)/P1+(n2RT2)/3P2
This equation looks incorrect to me. Please reconsider.
If V1=V and V2 = 3V, please express the number of moles of each container in terms of V, T1, P1, T2, and P2.
What is the total number of moles in terms of these parameters?

Ah, I think I see.
n1=P1V1/RT1
n2=P2V2/RT2
n1+n2=P1V1/RT1 + P2V2/RT2

And then I can sub V2 for 3V1

n1+n2=P1V1/RT1 + P23V1/RT2

Bringing out the V1

n1+n2=V1(P1/RT1 + 3P2/RT2)

Divide left side by (P1/RT1 + 3P2/RT2) and right side by (n1+n2)

V,m=RT1/P1 + RT2/3P2

Which after looking up above gives the same result, so I'm not sure what I've done.

Aestus said:
Ah, I think I see.
n1=P1V1/RT1
n2=P2V2/RT2
n1+n2=P1V1/RT1 + P2V2/RT2

And then I can sub V2 for 3V1

n1+n2=P1V1/RT1 + P23V1/RT2

Bringing out the V1

n1+n2=V1(P1/RT1 + 3P2/RT2)
Let P be the final pressure in both tanks. In terms of P, V1, and T1, what is the final number of moles in tank 1? In terms of P, V1, and T2, what is the final number of moles in tank 2? In terms of these parameters, what is the final sum of the number of moles in the two tanks? Has the total number of moles in the two tanks changed from the initial to the final state? What is the final pressure?

Tank 1, n1=PV1/RT1
Tank 2, n2=PV2/RT2

n1+n2=PV1/RT1 + PV2/RT2

moles of gas doesn't change so PfV1/RT1 + PfV2/RT2 = P1V1/RT1 + P2V2/RT2

The question wants me to work out the pressure without any values of volume given, so can I equate the molar volumes?

RT1/P1 + RT2/3P2 = RT1/Pf + RT2/3Pf

P1/T1 + 3P2/T2 = Pf/T1 + 3Pf/T2

Pf = ((P1/T1 + 3P2/T2)/(1/T1 + 3/T2))

Last edited:
Still felt uneasy with what I worked out above. In particular the molar volume. If the molar volume is (total volume/n1+n2) then, it must be,
(V1+3V1/n1+n2)

So, in the case of

n1+n2 = PV1/RT1 + P3V1/RT2

Dividing by total volume, 4V1

n1+n2/4V1=P1V1/4V1RT1+ P23V1/4V1RT2

n1+n2/4V1=P1/4RT1+ 3P2/4RT2

So, 4V1/(n1+n2)=4RT1/P1+ 4RT2/3P2

V,m = 4RT1/P1+ 4RT2/3P2 = 4RT1/P+ 4RT2/3P

After solving, it comes out the same as above, Pf = ((P1/T1 + 3P2/T2)/(1/T1 + 3/T2))

I think this proof was a bit clearer, hopefully it's right.

Aestus said:
Tank 1, n1=PV1/RT1
Tank 2, n2=PV2/RT2

n1+n2=PV1/RT1 + PV2/RT2

moles of gas doesn't change so PfV1/RT1 + PfV2/RT2 = P1V1/RT1 + P2V2/RT2

The question wants me to work out the pressure without any values of volume given, so can I equate the molar volumes?
No. In your last equation above, you simply substitute V2=3V1. This gives you:

Pf = ((P1/T1 + 3P2/T2)/(1/T1 + 3/T2))

Then, to make the equation look more presentable, you multiply number and denominator by T1 T2 to obtain:

$$P_f=\frac{p_1T_2+3P_2T_1}{T_2+3T_1}$$

Thank you for you help, greatly appreciated. :)

Related to What Is the Equilibrium Pressure Inside Two Connected Containers of Ideal Gas?

1. What is pressure inside two containers?

The pressure inside two containers is the force exerted by the molecules of the gas or liquid in the containers against the walls of the containers. It is a measure of how much the molecules are pushing against each other and the walls of the containers.

2. How is pressure inside two containers measured?

Pressure inside two containers can be measured using a pressure gauge. This device measures the force exerted by the gas or liquid in the containers and converts it into a pressure reading, usually in units of pounds per square inch (psi) or pascals (Pa).

3. What factors affect the pressure inside two containers?

The pressure inside two containers is affected by the volume of the containers, the number of molecules present, and the temperature of the gas or liquid. As the volume decreases, the pressure increases. As the number of molecules increases, the pressure also increases. And as the temperature increases, the pressure also increases.

4. How does pressure inside two containers change with depth?

The pressure inside two containers increases with depth due to the weight of the gas or liquid above it. This is known as hydrostatic pressure. The deeper the containers are submerged, the greater the pressure exerted by the gas or liquid.

5. Can the pressure inside two containers be different?

Yes, the pressure inside two containers can be different depending on the factors mentioned above. For example, if one container has a larger volume or a higher temperature, it will have a higher pressure compared to the other container. Additionally, the type of gas or liquid in each container can also affect the pressure inside.