What is the equivalence point on this graph?

In summary, the conversation is about determining an unknown diprotic acid using a titration curve. The person is unsure which point to use as the equivalence point, and their lab manual suggests using either the first or second equivalence point. However, there was a large jump in pH between 20 and 22ml of NaOH, leading to a jump from 6.7 to 10.47. The person is considering using 10.47 as the equivalence point or taking an average of pH 6.7 and 10.47. They also mention using Gran's method for end point determination. Ultimately, it is suggested to read the end point from both the first and second equivalence points and take the average, or to use
Tianna
I am attempting to do a lab that requires the determination of an unknown diprotic acid using a titration curve. I have graphed my data but I am unsure what point to use as my eq. point. In my lab manual it says I may use the second or first eq. point but the second is often clearer. I am not given a specific equation to determine the point.

In your opinion, which point should i use to continue my calculations? There was a very large jump between 20 and 22ml NaOH leading to the pH jumping from 6.7 to 10.47.

Should I use 10.47 as my eq point?
eqp.png

Physics news on Phys.org
I am also thinking that maybe if I add up pH 6.7 and pH 10.47 and divide by 2, I get a value of 8.5 that when graphed seems to line up to what I believe is the equivalence point?

Best approach would be to to read the end point from both and to find the average (that is, not a direct average, but the 2nd should be exactly twice the 1st).

Second alone should be a little bit better, as the jump is higher.

Another approach would be to use Gran's method for the end point determination.

FAQ: What is the equivalence point on this graph?

1. What is the equivalence point on this graph?

The equivalence point on a graph is the point at which the amount of acid and base are equal, resulting in a neutral solution. This is typically shown by a sharp change in the pH level.

2. How is the equivalence point determined on a graph?

The equivalence point can be determined by finding the point where the titrant (usually a base) has been added in equal amounts to the analyte (usually an acid). This can be visually determined by looking at the point where the graph levels off or changes direction.

3. What factors can affect the location of the equivalence point on a graph?

The location of the equivalence point can be affected by factors such as the strength of the acid and base, the concentration of the solutions, and the presence of any impurities or contaminants.

4. Why is the equivalence point important in titration experiments?

The equivalence point is important because it indicates when the reaction between the acid and base is complete. This information can be used to determine the concentration of the unknown solution being titrated.

5. Can the equivalence point be accurately determined on a graph?

Yes, the equivalence point can be accurately determined on a graph if the titration is performed correctly and the data is collected and analyzed accurately. However, there may be some slight variation due to experimental error.

Back