What is the error on averaging?

• I
  • Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Error
In summary: I know what a uniformly distributed random is, and I know what a Gaussian distributed random is, but I don't know what a total random is.In summary, the problem discussed was about finding the maximum error in a sampling of 30 random numbers between +200 and -200, with the goal of estimating the true DC level of a circuit. The standard error of the mean was mentioned as a way to calculate the error, but the formula for this statistic would require knowledge of the underlying distribution of the random numbers. It was suggested to do a web search for more information and to make assumptions about the distribution in order to estimate the error. The concept of a uniform distribution and independent, ident
yungman
Let say I have a random number generator with numbers in and include between +200 to -200. We know the average has to be zero if you sample infinite number of times. How about you are only allow to sample 30 times, what is the maximum error from ideal zero in 30 random sampling?

Is there a formula for this? I am not a math student and this is not homework. This is a real life engineering problem I am facing. I have 140mVrms of white noise( total random) riding on a DC level. I want to find the DC level. I want to know if I spot sample 30 times and take the average, how accurate I can get to the true DC level.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
This is called the standard error of the mean.

Can you help telling me how to calculate this?

Thanks

yungman said:
Can you help telling me how to calculate this?
Do a web search for "standard error of the mean". There should be tons of references to this very well known statistic.

I did, question is what is the standard of deviation of a total random number described in my original post? I know the deviation of 30 sample is σx=σ/√(30). But I need to know what is the σ for this. Is the σ = 200 in my case since it is total random? So σx = 200/5.48=36.5?

As I said before, this is not homework. I am an EE with a problem. I really not interested in learning statistics and spend hours in reading what is standard deviation as I will not use this ever again. Please tell me what is the σ in my original post and I assume σx is the deviation after 30 sampling. I would really appreciate your help so I can get on with my design.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hey yungman.

You are going to have to get a joint distribution of your sample and use statistics and intervals to estimate what the error is.

I say estimate because you will only get so many percent within the interval.

As an example - a 95% interval for some parameter means that 95% of the time, the real value will be in that interval that you get and the other 5% it will be outside it.

This is assuming that your probability model is correct - if it isn't then you have to update it to something that is more in line with what actually is correct.

At some point you need to make assumptions and once you do this you get your interval and/or point estimates and go from there.

yungman said:
I did, question is what is the standard of deviation of a total random number described in my original post? I know the deviation of 30 sample is σx=σ/√(30). But I need to know what is the σ for this. Is the σ = 200 in my case since it is total random? So σx = 200/5.48=36.5?
Thanks
No, σ will not be 200. To find σ, you will need to know what the distribution looks like. If the random numbers are uniformly distributed between -200 and 200, then σ = 115.47.

The formula for σ for a uniform random variable between a and b is σ = (b - a)/√12.

Last edited:
Likes yungman
yungman said:
But I need to know what is the σ for this. Is the σ = 200 in my case since it is total random?
I can't help more than that. I don't know what you mean by "total random". I know what a uniformly distributed random is, and I know what a Gaussian distributed random is, but I don't know what a total random is.

Dale said:
I can't help more than that. I don't know what you mean by "total random". I know what a uniformly distributed random is, and I know what a Gaussian distributed random is, but I don't know what a total random is.
There goes to show you how little I know about this subject. I already spent almost an hour reading this topic after you told me what to look for. My knowledge of statistics was from high school...50 years ago!

What I meant total random is like there is no pattern, possibility of any number comes up between +200 and -200 is the same. I don't know exactly what is Gaussian distribution. It's like the probability of any number comes up within the range is the same. I don't know how to say it better anymore.

Thanks

yungman said:
possibility of any number comes up between +200 and -200 is the same.
That sounds like a uniform distribution.

yungman said:
there is no pattern
That sounds like an independent, identically distributed (IID) sample

For an IID sample of a uniform distribution @Heinera has given the calculation for the standard error.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_distribution_(continuous)

Likes yungman
Heinera said:
No, σ will not be 200. To find σ, you will need to know what the distribution looks like. If the random numbers are uniformly distributed between -200 and 200, then σ = 115.47.

The formula for σ for a uniform random variable between a and b is σ = (b - a)/√12.
Thanks, I just remember σ = (b - a)/√12.

In my circuit, the +/-200 is actually noise voltage I see on the oscilloscope. It was +/-200mV or noise. I want to reduce the noise by sampling 30 times and use it to reduce the noise output. 30 times is all the time I can afford to sample within that period.

I was thinking, the formula said σx=σ/√(30)= σ/5.48, this means I would expect to see improvement of 5.48 times. That is after sampling, I would expect the noise will reduce by +/-200mV/5.48=+./-36.5mV.

I really don't even have to know the σ, all I have to know is σx= σ/5.48. The noise is proportional to this.

You think this is correct?

Thanks

chiro said:
Hey yungman.

You are going to have to get a joint distribution of your sample and use statistics and intervals to estimate what the error is.

I say estimate because you will only get so many percent within the interval.

As an example - a 95% interval for some parameter means that 95% of the time, the real value will be in that interval that you get and the other 5% it will be outside it.

This is assuming that your probability model is correct - if it isn't then you have to update it to something that is more in line with what actually is correct.

At some point you need to make assumptions and once you do this you get your interval and/or point estimates and go from there.
Sorry, I really don't understand this, it's so over my head, but thanks.

Dale said:
That sounds like a uniform distribution.

That sounds like an independent, identically distributed (IID) sample

For an IID sample of a uniform distribution @Heinera has given the calculation for the standard error.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_distribution_(continuous)
I think this is it.

Please help me by looking at post #9. If my assumption is correct that I reduce the noise by 5.48 time by sampling 30 times, that's my answer already. Hopefully I don't have to go any deeper on this.

Thanks

yungman said:
I really don't even have to know the σ, all I have to know is σx= σ/5.48. The noise is proportional to this.

You think this is correct?

Thanks
Yes, but only if every data point in your sample of 30 are independent, and they all have the same distribution. It sounds like you have an analog signal that you are digitally sampling. If these samples are made with a high frequency (that is, with a short time interval between them), then there are several possible (and pausible) reasons that they might not be independent, and other formulas will apply. Best way of figuring this out is to do a lot of samples and running them through some statistical tests, before you start implementing your design.

Last edited:
You must be careful to distinguish between the maximum error and the expected error. It is highly unlikely, but possible to get all 30 values of 200. In that case, the error would be 200 and that is the maximum (you can also get -200). You may want to consider the expected error of the average, or the probability distribution of the sample error.

What I mean is that you have a sample which has a distribution and you use that to get a statistic to estimate something.

This is what statistics is all about - you estimate the distribution (or obtain it from first principles) and then you use that to get something you are looking for.

The OP asked about the maximum error but all the replies are talking about the statistic, with it's expected value and distribution. I hope the OP noticed the switch but I don't think that it was clearly mentioned. The maximum error is +- 200.

FAQ: What is the error on averaging?

What is the error on averaging?

The error on averaging, also known as the standard error, is a measure of how much the sample mean may vary from the true population mean. It takes into account the variability of the data points within the sample.

How is the error on averaging calculated?

The error on averaging is calculated by dividing the standard deviation of the sample by the square root of the sample size. The formula for standard error is SE = σ/√n, where σ is the standard deviation and n is the sample size.

What is the difference between standard deviation and standard error?

Standard deviation measures the variability of data points within a sample, while standard error measures the variability of the sample mean from the true population mean. Standard deviation is calculated using the sample data, while standard error is calculated by dividing the standard deviation by the square root of the sample size.

Why is it important to consider the error on averaging?

The error on averaging is important because it helps to determine the accuracy and precision of the sample mean. It also allows for a more accurate estimation of the true population mean. Additionally, it is used to calculate confidence intervals and determine the statistical significance of results.

How can the error on averaging be reduced?

The error on averaging can be reduced by increasing the sample size. As the sample size increases, the standard error decreases, resulting in a more precise estimate of the true population mean. Additionally, using more precise measurement techniques and ensuring a representative sample can also help to reduce the error on averaging.