What Is the Exit Temperature of Air from a Polytropic Compressor?

In summary: Assuming the compressor operates at 100% efficiency, the work per unit mass of working fluid (Btu/lbm) required to run the compressor would be 9.5 Btu/lbm.b) The power required to drive the compressor if the heat pump delivers 100,000 Btu/hr would be:P = (9.5 * 1000000) / (160 + 50) = 12500 W
Takuya925

Homework Statement

If there's a polytropic process (n = 1.51) compressor that compresses air (Ideal Gas) as:
In: 100 kPa @ 25c
Out: 30 MPa

Given Data: Mass (m) = 105 kg, Work done by compressor (W) = 160000 kJ

a. What is the exit temperature of the air from the compressor?
b. If an air cooler is attached at the output side of the compressor, what is the heat-transfer in the air cooler?

2. The attempt at a solution

I used the energy balance and assumed it's steady state, steady flow, and ignored the potential/kinetic energy. Note Q equals heat loss/gain, and W equals the work done on system:
dE/dt = Q + W + m(h_in - h_out)

Since it's steady, state steady flow, dE/dt = 0. Also since it's polytropic which means adiabatic, Q = 0:
0 = 0 + W + m(h_in - h_out)

For Ideal Gas, change in enthalpy is influenced by temperature only so Cp(T_2 - T_1):
W = mCp(T_2 - T_1)

Sub in the known and solve. Note that Cp (specific heat for air) = 1.005, and temperature in kelvin:
160000 = 105 * 1.005 (T_2 - 298)
Part A --> T_2 = 1814.23 K

3. Question

I'm not sure how to do the part B. Based on my guess I think it's just 160000 kJ, same as the work given to the compressor. Also, I'm not sure if I did the calculation for part A properly. (Think temperature is way too high...)

Physics news on Phys.org
Takuya925 said:
2. The attempt at a solution

I used the energy balance and assumed it's steady state, steady flow, and ignored the potential/kinetic energy. Note Q equals heat loss/gain, and W equals the work done on system:
dE/dt = Q + W + m(h_in - h_out)

Since it's steady, state steady flow, dE/dt = 0. Also since it's polytropic which means adiabatic, Q = 0:
0 = 0 + W + m(h_in - h_out)

For Ideal Gas, change in enthalpy is influenced by temperature only so Cp(T_2 - T_1):
W = mCp(T_2 - T_1)

Sub in the known and solve. Note that Cp (specific heat for air) = 1.005, and temperature in kelvin:
160000 = 105 * 1.005 (T_2 - 298)
Part A --> T_2 = 1814.23 K

3. Question

I'm not sure how to do the part B. Based on my guess I think it's just 160000 kJ, same as the work given to the compressor. Also, I'm not sure if I did the calculation for part A properly. (Think temperature is way too high...)
Assuming the compression is adiabatic in part a. all you have to know is that the work done on the gas is equal to the change in internal energy of the gas (since there is no exchange of heat with surroundings). This means that:

[tex]W = \Delta U = nC_v\Delta T[/tex]

where Cv is the molar specific heat at constant volume for air and n is the number of moles of air (ie. in 105 kg.)

However, the work done on the gas is not the work done by the compressor, since the compressor is not 100% efficient. You have to determine the amount of work done on the gas in compressing it from 100 KPa at 25 c to 30 MPa. I think you have to use the relationship:

[tex]PV^\gamma = K[/tex] where [itex]\gamma = 1.51[/itex]

AM

Hey,

I am having some trouble understanding this question.
Is this a refridgeration cycle or a heat-pump?

Any help will be appreciated.

Q. Consider a heat pump operating with R-134a as the working fluid on an ideal cycle between the
condenser pressure of 160 psia and the evaporator pressure of 50 psia.
a) Determine the work per unit mass of working fluid (Btu/lbm) required to run the compressor.
b) Determine the power required to drive the compressor if the heat pump delivers 100,000
Btu/hr.
Consider now the same heat pump with 9.5°F subcooling of the refrigerant at the exit of the
condenser.

FAQ: What Is the Exit Temperature of Air from a Polytropic Compressor?

1. What is a thermodynamic compressor?

A thermodynamic compressor is a device that uses mechanical energy to increase the pressure and temperature of a gas or vapor, typically in a closed system. This process is important in many industrial and scientific applications, including refrigeration and air conditioning systems.

2. How does a thermodynamic compressor work?

A thermodynamic compressor works by using a piston, rotor, or other mechanical mechanism to compress a gas or vapor, reducing its volume and increasing its pressure. This compression also causes the temperature of the gas to rise, as described by the ideal gas law. The compressed gas can then be used for various purposes, such as powering a turbine or cooling a space.

3. What are the different types of thermodynamic compressors?

There are several types of thermodynamic compressors, including reciprocating compressors, centrifugal compressors, and axial compressors. Reciprocating compressors use a piston and cylinder to compress gas, while centrifugal compressors use a rotating impeller. Axial compressors use a series of rotating and stationary blades to compress gas. The type of compressor used depends on the specific application and required pressure and flow rate.

4. What are the main advantages of using a thermodynamic compressor?

One of the main advantages of using a thermodynamic compressor is its ability to efficiently compress gas, which can be used for a variety of purposes. Additionally, thermodynamic compressors are often more compact and have a higher power-to-weight ratio compared to other types of compressors. They also have fewer moving parts, making them more reliable and easier to maintain.

5. What are some common uses of thermodynamic compressors?

Thermodynamic compressors have a wide range of applications, including refrigeration and air conditioning, industrial processes, and power generation. They are also used in natural gas processing and transportation, as well as in the production of chemicals and petrochemicals. In the medical field, thermodynamic compressors are used in respiratory equipment and oxygen concentrators.