What is the expected outcome of a game of chance with varying probabilities?

• MHB
  • Thread starter aprilryan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the conversation discusses a probability problem where a game of chance has a 30% chance of winning $5, a 50% chance of losing $4, and a 20% chance of breaking even. The expected profit or loss is calculated by multiplying each outcome by its probability and adding them together. Both a profit and loss scenario are considered, with the final answer being an expected loss of $0.5.
aprilryan
I have one more probability problem for you. I just don't know where to begin with this one.

"In a game of chance you have a 30% chance of winning $\$5$, a 50% chance of losing $\$4$ and a 20% chance of breaking even. What is your expected profit or loss?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
So you need to take each outcome (positive = winning, negative = losing), multiply each one by its probability, and add it all up.

Let me get this straight:

I multiply 5 times 30 percent or 0.3
I also multiply 4 times 50% or 0.5
Then I add the sums of these two correct?

What do I do with the 20%?

Break even means no profit nor loss. Let $X$ be your profit, then $X$ is a random variable defined as (watch the signs!):$$ X = \left \{ \begin{array}{lll} 5, \quad & p = 0.3 \\ -4, \quad & p = 0.5 \\ 0, \quad & p = 0.2 \end{array} \right. $$Then the expected profit is given by $\mathbb{E}[X] = 5(0.3)+(-4)(0.5) = - 0.5$. This means that you expect a negative profit or hence a loss of $0.5 \$ $.

On the other hand, it's completely similar to say, let $Y$ be the loss, then $Y$ is a random variable defined as:$$ Y = \left \{ \begin{array}{lll} -5, \quad & p = 0.3 \\ 4, \quad & p = 0.5 \\ 0, \quad & p = 0.2 \end{array} \right. $$The expected loss is given by $\mathbb{E}[Y] = -5(0.3)+4(0.5) = 0.5$. Hence your expected loss is $0.5 \$$ which is exactly the same answer as above. It does not matter how you define the r.v as a loss of profit as long as you understand that a negative profit is a loss and vice versa.

Thanks Siron, this really helped break down everything for me! Thank you Ackbach for your assistance as well!

Related to What is the expected outcome of a game of chance with varying probabilities?

1. What is a probability problem?

A probability problem is a mathematical question that involves calculating the likelihood of a certain event occurring. It is usually framed in the context of a specific scenario or situation, and requires the use of probability theory and mathematical tools to find a solution.

2. What is the difference between experimental and theoretical probability?

Experimental probability is based on actual data collected through experiments or observations, while theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumptions. Experimental probability may vary from trial to trial, while theoretical probability remains constant.

3. How do I calculate the probability of an event?

To calculate the probability of an event, you need to determine the total number of possible outcomes and the number of favorable outcomes. Then, divide the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This will give you a decimal or fraction that represents the probability of the event occurring.

4. What is the difference between independent and dependent events?

Independent events are events that do not affect each other, meaning the outcome of one event does not impact the outcome of the other. Dependent events, on the other hand, are events that are influenced by each other, and the outcome of one event will affect the outcome of the other.

5. How can I use probability to solve real-world problems?

Probability can be used to make predictions and informed decisions in a variety of real-world situations, such as in business, finance, and gambling. It can also be used to analyze and interpret data, evaluate risks, and design experiments.