What Is the Expected Total Number of Errors in a Computer Code?

So in this case, it would be 1. In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of errors in two blocks of computer code, with each block having a 0.6 chance of having no errors, 0.3 chance of having one error, and 0.1 chance of having two errors. The conversation also calculates the probability of more errors in the first block than the second block, the probability of equal number of errors in both blocks, and the expected number of errors in the first block. The expected total number of errors in the code is the sum of the expected number of errors in each block, which in this case is 1.
lina29

Homework Statement

A computer code consists of two blocks written independently by two programmers. Each block contains no errors with probability 0.6, one error with probability 0.3, and two errors with probability 0.1.
a. What is the probability that there are more errors in the first block than in the second block?
b. What is the probability that two blocks have an equal number of errors?
c. Compute the expected number of errors in the 1st block.
d. Let Z be the total number of errors in the code. Use your answer in (c) to find E(Z).

Homework Equations

For A-.27
B- .46
C- .5

All of which were correct

The Attempt at a Solution

I just don't understand what part d is asking am I supposed to compute the expected number of errors in the 2nd block (.5) and then add it with the first block getting .10

or is there another approach?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, .5+.5 isn't equal to 0.10.

sorry I knew that :) I meant 1. would that be correct?

lina29 said:
sorry I knew that :) I meant 1. would that be correct?

I think so. Expected total number of errors is the sum of the expected number of errors in the two blocks.

FAQ: What Is the Expected Total Number of Errors in a Computer Code?

1. What is expected value probability?

Expected value probability is a statistical concept that represents the average outcome of a random event over a large number of trials. It is calculated by multiplying the probability of each possible outcome by its respective payoff or loss, and then summing these values. The result is an estimate of the expected value or average outcome of the event.

2. How is expected value probability different from actual probability?

Expected value probability is a theoretical concept that represents the long-term average outcome of an event, while actual probability is the likelihood of a specific outcome in a single trial. Expected value takes into account all possible outcomes and their respective probabilities, while actual probability is based on the observed outcome of a single trial.

3. What is the formula for calculating expected value probability?

The formula for calculating expected value probability is: E(x) = Σx * P(x), where E(x) represents the expected value, x represents the possible outcomes, and P(x) represents the probability of each outcome. This formula can be used for both discrete and continuous random variables.

4. How is expected value probability used in decision making?

Expected value probability is often used in decision making to help determine the best course of action. By calculating the expected value of different options, one can make an informed decision based on the potential outcomes and their respective probabilities. This can be particularly useful in situations with uncertain outcomes, such as in gambling or investing.

5. Can expected value probability be negative?

Yes, expected value probability can be negative. This can occur when the potential losses outweigh the potential gains. For example, in a game of chance where the probability of winning is low but the potential payoff is high, the expected value may still be negative due to the possibility of losing. In this case, a negative expected value may indicate that it is not a favorable decision to participate in the game.

Back