What is the explanation for the indeterminate form of inf+inf?

• Thread starter Born2Perform
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Form
In summary, the limit of inf+inf is indeterminate because the result could be any standard value or infinite depending on the behavior of the numbers involved. This is because adding or subtracting infinity is not a well-defined operation and the result could vary depending on the context or the numbers involved. On the other hand, the limit of inf-inf is indeterminate because it is impossible to determine the value of the difference between two unbounded quantities without additional information. In other words, the result is not uniquely determined and can vary based on the behavior of the numbers involved.
Born2Perform
all i write is in R U {infinite}

i understood that inf-inf is an indeterminate form, i don't understand why inf+inf is not. for example, doing all possible steps:

[tex]inf+inf = \frac{n}{0}+\frac{n}{0} = \frac{n*\frac{0*0}{0} + n*\frac{0*0}{0}}{0*0} = indeterminate[/tex]

probably what i wrote is a non sense but can i have a proof that inf+inf=inf?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hey n/0 can't be taken as infinite in math, or can it?! In physics problems most of the time n/0 would mean infinity but a lot less in math.

in math yes, in R no, for this reason i premitted that my set was R U {inf}

You can't add non-numbers like n/0.

arildno said:
You can't add non-numbers like n/0.
i imegined an answer like this, here ppl are also very restrictive about those
n/0 operations i don't understand why, i also made precise that i was writing in extended reals, i also did all possible steps without semplifying anything...

let's assume i have to solve a limit like

[tex]\lim_{\substack{x\rightarrow \infty\\y\rightarrow \infty}} x+y[/tex]

and the result is obviously infinite, but why? i can see it only in the graphic?
what i wish to have is only a sentence that says "inf+inf is not indeterminate because bla bla...inf-inf is indeterminate because..." is there a criterion for which a thing is indeterminate?

Yes: if it can't be determined. The notation that some limit is infinty has explicit meaning. And under that meaning it is clear that the limit as x and y both tend to infinity of x+y is infinity again. However, it is not clear 'infinity -infinity' means. Consider 1/x and 1/x -k. As x tends to infinity, then either of those expressions tends to infinity as well. But 1/x - (1/x - k) =k, for any constant k.

Getting back to the original question- which has nothing to do with adding "infinity"!

It is possible to have examples two limits, each unbounded above (I am avoiding saying "going to infinity") such that the limit formed by subtracting the two converges to any desired quantity. Hence "indeterminant"- knowing that each does not converge tells you nothing about their difference.

If you have two limits, each unbounded above, then their sum must be unbounded and so does not converge- not "indeterminant" at all.

In intuitive terms, the difference between two very large positive numbers can be small, even zero, thus indeterminate, but the sum of two very large positive numbers must be a very large positive number. Obviously (-inf)+(+inf)
is also indeterminate.

From the non-standard reals viewpoint, if d is infinitely small (a/d + b/d) = (a+b)/d, if a and b are standard, then (a+b) could be 0, making the result 0, which is not infinite, otherwise the result is infinite, but could be +inf or -inf. but if a and b are infinitesimal of the same order as d, then the value could be any standard value.

From the standard view point, if a,b, and d are functions of t, with limit as t goes to +inf of d being 0, while a and b remain positive, then the limit of the ratio (a+b)/d depends on the behaviour of (a+b) as t goes to infinity, and that could be almost anything.

FAQ: What is the explanation for the indeterminate form of inf+inf?

1. What is an indeterminate form?

An indeterminate form is a mathematical expression that cannot be evaluated using basic algebraic techniques. This is because it has a variable in the denominator that approaches zero, resulting in an undefined or infinite value.

2. How do you solve an indeterminate form?

To solve an indeterminate form, you need to use advanced techniques such as L'Hospital's rule, which involves taking the derivative of the numerator and denominator separately and then evaluating the limit again. Other methods include using series expansions and substitution.

3. What are some examples of indeterminate forms?

Some common examples of indeterminate forms include 0/0, ∞/∞, 0 x ∞, and ∞ - ∞. These expressions have a variable in the denominator or in a limit that approaches zero or infinity, making them impossible to solve using basic algebra.

4. Why are indeterminate forms important in mathematics?

Indeterminate forms are important because they often arise in real-world problems and in more complex mathematical expressions. They require more advanced techniques to solve and can lead to interesting and unexpected results. Understanding indeterminate forms is crucial for solving many mathematical problems.

5. Can indeterminate forms have multiple solutions?

No, indeterminate forms do not have multiple solutions. They are undefined or infinite, which means there is no unique solution. However, different methods of solving an indeterminate form can lead to different results, so it is important to carefully consider the approach and check for any errors or assumptions made during the calculation.

Back