What is the explanation for the permutation table in my book?

In summary, the table in the book is somewhat confusing and I'm having trouble understanding how to use it.
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

This is not really a question. More of an understanding issue. They have created a table for the alternating group of degree 4 in my book and I'm having trouble understanding it.

http://gyazo.com/87980bef3669619796dda2f55a9d04d1

Homework Equations

Cycle notation.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I can understand why (1)(1) = (1), but for something like (12)(34)(12)(34) = (1) I am unsure of how they've done this and then later on they somehow get (123)(123) = (13)(12)(13)(12) = (132).

The table in general is somewhat confusing to me. Any help with this one would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Zondrina said:
but for something like (12)(34)(12)(34) = (1) I am unsure of how they've done this

Just consider what the map does to each of 1, 2, 3, and 4. Start with 1. I assume you're composing from right to left, so (3 4) is the first cycle to be applied. This does not change 1. Thus (3 4) maps 1 to 1. Next, (1 2) maps 1 to 2. Then (3 4) leaves alone. Finally (1 2) moves 2 back to 1. Therefore the composition of the 4 maps has left 1 unchanged. You can verify for yourself that the same is true for 2, 3, and 4.

and then later on they somehow get (123)(123) = (13)(12)(13)(12) = (132).

Once again, to verify equality, just check what each of the three maps does to 1, 2, and 3.

The first map is (1 2 3)(1 2 3). The first (right) cycle maps 1 to 2, and then the second (left) cycle maps 2 to 3. So the composition maps 1 to 3. Similarly, the composition maps 2 to 1, and 3 to 2. Therefore it is equal to the cycle (1 3 2). You can confirm that the middle map is equal to this same cycle.

jbunniii said:
Just consider what the map does to each of 1, 2, 3, and 4. Start with 1. I assume you're composing from right to left, so (3 4) is the first cycle to be applied. This does not change 1. Thus (3 4) maps 1 to 1. Next, (1 2) maps 1 to 2. Then (3 4) leaves alone. Finally (1 2) moves 2 back to 1. Therefore the composition of the 4 maps has left 1 unchanged. You can verify for yourself that the same is true for 2, 3, and 4.

Once again, to verify equality, just check what each of the three maps does to 1, 2, and 3.

The first map is (1 2 3)(1 2 3). The first (right) cycle maps 1 to 2, and then the second (left) cycle maps 2 to 3. So the composition maps 1 to 3. Similarly, the composition maps 2 to 1, and 3 to 2. Therefore it is equal to the cycle (1 3 2). You can confirm that the middle map is equal to this same cycle.

Ahhhh I understand what's happening now.

So for example, let's take a harder one.. say (14)(23)(234) = (143).

This happens because 1 gets mapped to 4, 2 gets sent to itself, 3 gets sent to 4 which gets sent back to 1 and finally 4 gets sent to 2 which gets sent to 3.

Thus we get the cycle (143)(2) = (143).

Thank you for clearing this up for me, I was having trouble reading from right to left for some reason.

Zondrina said:
Ahhhh I understand what's happening now.

So for example, let's take a harder one.. say (14)(23)(234) = (143).

This happens because 1 gets mapped to 4, 2 gets sent to itself, 3 gets sent to 4 which gets sent back to 1 and finally 4 gets sent to 2 which gets sent to 3.

Thus we get the cycle (143)(2) = (143).

Yes, that's correct. Reading right-to-left can be a bit confusing at first, but it makes sense because it works the same way for functions: [itex]f \circ g \circ h[/itex] means apply h, then g, then f.

Don't worry, you'll get used to it and it will become second nature, and then suddenly you will take some higher level group theory course from an old-fashioned instructor who insists on writing everything left-to-right and accordingly writes mappings on the right, i.e. what most people would call f(g(h(x))) suddenly becomes (((x)h)g)f. I wish I was joking about this, but I've had such instructors (and textbooks).

Last edited:

Related to What is the explanation for the permutation table in my book?

1. What is a permutation and how is it different from a combination?

A permutation is an arrangement of a set of objects in a specific order. It differs from a combination in that the order of the objects matters in a permutation, while in a combination, the order does not matter.

2. How do you calculate the number of possible permutations?

The number of possible permutations can be calculated using the formula n!/(n-r)!, where n is the number of objects and r is the number of objects being arranged.

3. Can you give an example of a permutation?

One example of a permutation is the arrangement of letters in a word. For example, the word "cat" has 6 possible permutations: cat, act, atc, cta, tac, and tca.

4. Are there any real-life applications of permutations?

Yes, permutations have many real-life applications, such as in computer science for generating unique passwords and in genetics for determining different combinations of genes.

5. Can a permutation have repetitions?

Yes, a permutation can have repetitions. For example, in the word "book", the letter "o" is repeated twice, resulting in only 3 distinct permutations: book, boko, and book.