What is the explanation for using sin 30 in 2D kinematics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the initial velocity of a tennis ball thrown at an angle of 30 degrees above the horizontal. The equations used include the initial vertical component of velocity, the equation for vertical velocity as a function of time, and the final vertical velocity at a specific time. The final solution for the initial velocity is 19.6 m/s. The use of sin 30 is necessary to calculate the vertical component of velocity, while the horizontal component remains constant.
Hemingway

Homework Statement

A tennis ball is thrown from ground level with velocity vo directed sin 30 above the horizontal. If it takes the ball 1.0s to reach the top of its trajectory, what is the magnitude of the initial velocity?

Homework Equations

The initial vertical component of velocity is

(1) Vy,o = Vo sin(30)

As the ball rises gravity slows the ball down until the vertical
velocity is zero. The equation that describes the vertical component
of velocity as a function of time is

(2) Vy = Vy,o - gt

Where g = 9.8m/s^2 is the magnitude of the acceleration due to
gravity and t is time. Now when t = 1s Vy = 0 (this corresponds
to the maximum height) so we have.

(3) 0 = Vy,o -g(1s)

Substituting (1) and g = 9.8m/s^2 into (3) gives

(4) 0 = Vo sin(30) - 9.8 m/s

solving for Vo

(5) Vo = (9.8 m/s)/ sin(30)

= (9.8 m/s)/ 0.5

= 19.6 m/s

* Vo = 19.6 m/s *

The Attempt at a Solution

Why am I using sin 30 - I understand that that is the y direction, but why is it not
0 = Vo - 9.8 (1)
Vo = -9.8, I understand this answer is not reasonable but I want to know the explanation for why I am using sin 30. I hope you understand what I am asking :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The horizontal component of the velocity (the one with cos30 in it) would not change with time. Only the vertical component is changing with time. So you would need to get the final vertical component of velocity at the specific time and then combine it with the constant horizontal component of the velocity to get the velocity.

rock.freak667 said:
The horizontal component of the velocity (the one with cos30 in it) would not change with time. Only the vertical component is changing with time. So you would need to get the final vertical component of velocity at the specific time and then combine it with the constant horizontal component of the velocity to get the velocity.

That was exactly what I was after - thank you very, very much :)

FAQ: What is the explanation for using sin 30 in 2D kinematics?

What is 2D Kinematics?

2D Kinematics is the study of motion in two dimensions, typically in the x and y directions. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object as it moves through space.

How is 2D Kinematics different from 1D Kinematics?

1D Kinematics deals with motion in only one direction, while 2D Kinematics takes into account motion in two perpendicular directions. This requires the use of vector quantities, such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration, to fully describe the motion of an object.

What are some common equations used in 2D Kinematics?

The most commonly used equations in 2D Kinematics are the equations for displacement, velocity, and acceleration in each direction. These include x = x0 + v0xt + 1/2axt2, vx = v0x + axt, and ax = constant for the x-direction, with similar equations for the y-direction.

How do you solve problems involving 2D Kinematics?

To solve problems involving 2D Kinematics, it is important to first identify the known and unknown variables and choose a coordinate system. Then, use the appropriate equations to solve for the unknown variables. It is also helpful to draw a diagram and label all given values to better visualize the problem.

What are some real-life applications of 2D Kinematics?

2D Kinematics has many practical applications, such as predicting the trajectory of a projectile, analyzing the motion of objects in sports and games, and designing roller coasters and other amusement park rides. It is also used in navigation systems, such as GPS, to track the position and movement of objects on Earth.