What is the expression for the inverse matrix of A?

In summary, Ray is trying to solve for A^-1, but doesn't seem to be getting anywhere. Ivy provides a hint that may help.
Briane92
1. a) Prove the following holds for A
A is a matrix [a b, c d]

I is identity matrix.

A^2 = (a+d)A-(ad-bc)I.

b) Assuming ad-bc not equal to 0, use a) to obtain an expression for A^-1.

The Attempt at a Solution

I proved the first equation, but I'm not seeing where it relates to the inverse. I know that ad-bc is the determinate. At first I was going to write A^-1 in terms of a,d,b,c in a matrix but I realize that this was done in class and its asking for an equation similar to the first one.

I just want a couple of hints, because I'm stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}w & x \\ y & z\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
is inverse to
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}a & b \\ c & d \end{bmatrix}[/tex]
then we must have
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}w & x \\ y & z\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}a & b \\ c & d \end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}aw+ cx & bw+ cd \\ ay+ cz & by+ cz \end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 \\ 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

That gives you four equations to solve for w, x, y, and z.

Thanks for the reply.
We did that in class, I have it in my notes. I think the question is asking for something along this lines of
A^-1 = (b+a)A-(bc+da)I.
That isn't right as I just made it up, but that's the type of equation I think I suppose to come up with from this A^2 = (a+d)A-(ad-bc)I equation. I did the work to show that is true. But I don't see the relation to the inverse except (ad-bc), the determinate, determines if A is invertible.

Briane92 said:
1. a) Prove the following holds for A
A is a matrix [a b, c d]

I is identity matrix.

A^2 = (a+d)A-(ad-bc)I.

b) Assuming ad-bc not equal to 0, use a) to obtain an expression for A^-1.

The Attempt at a Solution

I proved the first equation, but I'm not seeing where it relates to the inverse. I know that ad-bc is the determinate. At first I was going to write A^-1 in terms of a,d,b,c in a matrix but I realize that this was done in class and its asking for an equation similar to the first one.

I just want a couple of hints, because I'm stuck.

If B = A^(-1) exists, what do you get if you multiply your equation for A^2 by B on both sides?

RGV

(A^-1) A^2 = (A^-1) ((a+d)A-(ad-bc)I)
(A^-1)(A)(A)= " " ""
IA = " " ""
A= (a+d)I-(ad-bc)A^-1

edit
A^-1 = 1/(ad-bc)(a+d)I- 1/(ad-bc)A

just check with calculator and it works.

Thanks Ray and Ivy.

Last edited:
Briane92 said:
(A^-1) A^2 = (A^-1) ((a+d)A-(ad-bc)I)
(A^-1)(A)(A)= " " ""
IA = " " ""
A= (a+d)I-(ad-bc)A^-1

Ok, so far. Now just solve that equation for A^(-1).

Related to What is the expression for the inverse matrix of A?

1. What is an inverse matrix?

An inverse matrix is a matrix that, when multiplied by the original matrix, results in the identity matrix. It is essentially the "opposite" of the original matrix, undoing any transformations that were applied to it.

2. Why is the expression for inverse matrix important?

The expression for inverse matrix is important because it allows us to solve equations involving matrices, which are a fundamental tool in many fields of science and mathematics. It also has practical applications in computer graphics, engineering, and data analysis.

3. How do you find the expression for inverse matrix?

To find the expression for inverse matrix, you can use a variety of methods such as Gaussian elimination, LU decomposition, or the adjugate matrix method. However, the most common method is the Gauss-Jordan elimination method, which uses elementary row operations to transform the matrix into its inverse form.

4. Can every matrix have an inverse?

No, not every matrix has an inverse. Only square matrices (matrices with the same number of rows and columns) that are non-singular (have a non-zero determinant) have an inverse. In other words, a matrix must be "invertible" in order for it to have an inverse.

5. What is the relationship between the expression for inverse matrix and the determinant of a matrix?

The expression for inverse matrix involves the determinant of the original matrix. Specifically, the inverse of a matrix A is equal to the adjugate of A divided by the determinant of A. This means that a matrix is only invertible if its determinant is non-zero.