What is the final speed of the cork in a spring loaded cork gun?

• Thread starter Albeaver89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gun Spring
In summary, a cork gun with a spring constant of 20.0 N/m is used to propel a cork of mass 3.76 g by compressing the spring by 8.2 cm. The speed of the cork when it is released is 5.98 m/s. If the cork temporarily sticks to the spring and causes it to extend by 4.0 cm beyond its equilibrium position, the speed of the cork when it is released is 5.22 m/s. This is found by adding the energy from the spring to the equation and solving for v.
Albeaver89

Homework Statement

A cork gun contains a spring whose spring constant is 20.0 N/m. The spring is compressed by a distance ∆X = 8.2 cm and used to propel a cork of mass 3.76 g from the gun. Assuming the cork is released when the spring passes through its equilibrium position (Xeq).
(a) What is the speed of the cork as it is released from the spring?
(b) Suppose now that the cork temporarily sticks to the spring, causing the spring to extend 4.0 cm beyond its equilibrium position before separation occurs. What is the speed of the cork as it is released from the spring in this case?

Homework Equations

Initial Mechanical Energy (Ei) = Final Mechanical Energy (Ef)
(a)Ei=KEi+PEi; Ef=KEf+PEf; KEf+PEf=KEi+PEi ⇔ 0+1/2kx^2=1/2mv^2+0 (solve for "v") v=(√(k)x)/√(m) ⇔ (√(20.0)*0.082)/√(0.00376) ⇔ v=5.98m/s (this is correct according to the lon-capa homework thing)

(b)Ei=KEi+PEi; Ef=KEf+PEf; KEf+PEf=KEi+PEi ⇔ 0+1/2kx^2=1/2mv^2+0 (this is where I'm stuck, I can't figure out where to add the extra distance due to the spring. I think you subtract it because it will slow down the cork. Am I heading the right direction? Or am I totally off?)

Thanks a lot :)
Allyn

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry I forgot to post the picture...

Attachments

• prob12a.gif
    prob12a.gif
    3.7 KB · Views: 728
Ok. I figured it out!you add the energy from the spring and get this equation:
1/2kx^2=1/2mv^2+1/2ky^2 Where y= the distance the spring travels with the cork i.e. after the equilibrium
Then solve for v and get:
v=(√(20)*√(.082^2-.04^2))/√(.00376) and you get v=5.22 m/s.

Related to What is the final speed of the cork in a spring loaded cork gun?

1. What is a spring loaded cork gun?

A spring loaded cork gun is a toy gun that uses a spring mechanism to shoot corks or other small projectiles. It works by compressing the spring and releasing it to propel the cork forward.

2. How does a spring loaded cork gun work?

A spring loaded cork gun has a spring mechanism inside the barrel. When the gun is cocked, the spring is compressed. When the trigger is pulled, the spring is released, causing a sudden burst of energy that propels the cork out of the barrel.

3. Is a spring loaded cork gun safe for children?

While a spring loaded cork gun is generally considered safe for children, it is important to always supervise children while they are playing with it. The corks can cause injury if shot at close range or in the eye, so it is important to use caution and follow any safety guidelines provided by the manufacturer.

4. Are there any potential hazards associated with using a spring loaded cork gun?

Aside from potential injury from shooting corks at close range or in the eye, there are no other major hazards associated with using a spring loaded cork gun. However, it is important to always use the toy as intended and follow any safety guidelines provided by the manufacturer.

5. Can a spring loaded cork gun be used for anything other than shooting corks?

While a spring loaded cork gun is primarily designed for shooting corks, some models may also come with small foam darts or other projectiles that can be used in place of corks. However, it is important to only use the projectiles provided by the manufacturer to ensure the safety and proper functioning of the toy.