What is the final temperature of ethanol after thermal equilibrium is reached?

In summary: and i think it's right so its minus 0.1 cm3. for part b the expansion of the glass is -2.71*10^(-8) meters and therefore the final volume is 1.0797*10^(-4) meters. and for ethanol the expansion of the glass is 7.38*10^(-8) meters and therefore the final volume is 1.0807*10^(-4) meters. so the final temperature is in between for both parts. sorry for the bad typing
pat666

Homework Statement

1. You pour 108 cm^3 of ethanol, at a temperature of - 10.0 C, into a graduated cylinder initially at 20.0 C, filling it to the very top. The cylinder is made of glass with a specific heat of 840 J/kgK and a coefficient of volume expansion of 1.2 × 10^-5 K^-1; its mass is 0.110 kg. The mass of the ethanol is 0.0873 kg. The specific heat capacity of ethanol is 2428 J/kgK and the coefficient of volume expansion of ethanol is 7.5 × 10-^5 K^-1.
(a) What will be the final temperature of the ethanol, once thermal equilibrium is reached?
(b) How much ethanol will overflow the cylinder before thermal equilibrium is reached?

Homework Equations

Q_e+Q_g=0
m_g c_g (T_f-T_gi )+m_e c_e (T_f-T_ei )=0
ΔV/V=βΔT

The Attempt at a Solution

Ive solved them - i really need someone to check them for me, i got - 0.892C for a which i think is right and 0.1cm^3 for b. I am really unsure of b. To solve b i found the expansion of the glass to be -2.71*〖10〗^(-8) m^3 and therefore the final volume to be 1.0797*〖10〗^(-4)m3 then i did the same for the ethanol which i got 7.38*〖10〗^(-8)m3 and 1.0807*〖10〗^(-4)m3 respectively... from that i found V_loss=V_fe-V_fg and then i got the answer of 0.1 cm3... any help is appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
The ethanol is heating up from 10 C and the glass is cooling down from 20 C so you should get a final temperature some where in between so I don't see your final temperature of .89 C. The over flow equals the volume expansion of the ethanol plus the volume contraction of the glass.

sorry that's my bad typing. its heating up from minus 10 degrees and cooling down from 20 degrees and my answer is minus 0.892 degrees. all Celsius for part a.

Related to What is the final temperature of ethanol after thermal equilibrium is reached?

1. What is thermal expansion?

Thermal expansion is the tendency of a substance to increase in volume as its temperature increases. This is due to the increased kinetic energy of the particles, causing them to move farther apart.

2. How does ethanol behave when heated?

When heated, ethanol will expand and increase in volume. This is because the heat causes the molecules to move more rapidly, causing them to take up more space.

3. What is the coefficient of thermal expansion for ethanol?

The coefficient of thermal expansion for ethanol is 1.1 x 10^-3 per degree Celsius. This means that for every degree Celsius increase in temperature, the volume of ethanol will increase by 0.0011 times its original volume.

4. How does thermal expansion of ethanol affect its density?

As ethanol expands when heated, its density decreases. This is because the same mass of ethanol now occupies a larger volume, resulting in a lower density.

5. Why is thermal expansion of ethanol important?

The thermal expansion of ethanol is important in various industries, such as in the production of alcohol-based fuels and in the measurement of temperature using thermometers. It is also important in understanding the behavior of materials when exposed to high temperatures, which is crucial in engineering and construction.