What is the Final Temperature When Ice is Added to Water in an Aluminum Cup?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of absolute zero and how it is impossible to reach this temperature in our normal physical form due to technological limitations. It is also mentioned that absolute zero is the coldest temperature known and going below it would result in a change of matter.
hils0005
A cup made of 100g of aluminum holds 200g of water at 50deg C, a 10g piece of ice is placed in the cup of water, what is the final temperature?

2. Homework Equations
Q=L(f)m
S=cm lnTf/Ti
specific heat of aluminum 0.90 J/gC

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the first step is to determine S(ice)
Q=Lm=79.5 cal/g * 10g=795cal
S(ice)=Q/T=795/273K=2.91
S(water)=Q/T=-795/323K=-2.46
2.91-2.46=.45cal/K

then as 0deg C water goes to 50deg C?
I believe I should be using an integral as the ice will be changing the temp of the water?
S(ice)=cmln(Tf/Ti)
1cal/gC * 10g ln(795/323)=9

S(water)=cmln(Tf/Ti)
1cal/gC*200 ln(795/323)=180

So now I'm confused-because I believe I would need to know the final temp of the water before calculating S with the Steel??
I also do not understand how to convert J/gC to cal

Physics news on Phys.org
The final temperature in physics is absolute zero. The coldest temperature known. It is impossible to go below this and remain in our normal physical form. To do so, we would cease to exist as we know ourselves and become a different kind of matter. This is why we can’t go to absolute zero. We don’t have the technology to do so.

Related to What is the Final Temperature When Ice is Added to Water in an Aluminum Cup?

What is the final temperature?

The final temperature refers to the temperature that a system will reach after it has undergone a change or reaction.

How is the final temperature calculated?

The final temperature is calculated using the principle of energy conservation, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred. This means that the total energy of the system before and after the change or reaction must be equal. The final temperature can be calculated using the equation Q = mcΔT, where Q is the heat transferred, m is the mass of the system, c is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

What factors can affect the final temperature?

The final temperature can be affected by a variety of factors, including the initial temperature of the system, the amount of energy transferred, the specific heat capacity of the materials involved, and any changes in the surrounding environment.

Is the final temperature always the same for a given system?

No, the final temperature can vary depending on the specific conditions of the system. Factors such as the amount of energy transferred, the materials involved, and the initial temperature can all affect the final temperature.

How is the final temperature related to the concept of equilibrium?

The final temperature is related to the concept of equilibrium in that it represents the state at which the system has reached a balance of energy. In a closed system, the final temperature will eventually reach equilibrium, where the energy is evenly distributed and the temperature remains constant.