What Is the Final Velocity of a Mass Accelerated by a Force?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the velocity of a body after being acted on by an accelerating force for a certain amount of time. The formula used is a = F/m, where F is the applied force and m is the mass of the body. The final velocity is calculated by adding the initial velocity to the product of the acceleration and time. There is also a mention of a similar question where the force was not given, but the mass, time, and final velocity were, leading to a different method of finding acceleration.
lisafeary
urgent help for biomechanics question

the question that I am not sure of is:
A body of mass 9.4 kg initially moving in a straight line at 3.7 m/s is acted on by an accelerating force of 36.5 N (in the same direction as initial motion) for 1.32 seconds Calculate the velocity of the body at the moment the applied force ceases. Express the units in symbol form in the space provided.

when i sorted it out i found acceleration first a=0-3.7/1.32= -2.80
then i had to find final
vf= 3.7+-2.80 x 1.32= my calculator came with 4.e-03 which is 0.004, however i did it another way and made acceleration positive and got 7.40.
but the one thing that I am concerned is that i have not inputed the Newtons and kilos in this equation :(
your help is greatly appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org

That's not the acceleration. The acceleration due to a force F is a = F/m.

so if i use that formula i did 36.5/9.4= 3.88 then used that to find final
vf= 3.7+ 3.88x1.32= 8.72m/s

it was sort of getting to me because there was a similar question but it did not give us the force in N but it gave the mass, time, final velocity, with that i found acceleration with using vf-vi/time and then times it by the mass. but seeing how you expressed the formula and how i see it varying with the other question makes sence
thanks heaps :)

Related to What Is the Final Velocity of a Mass Accelerated by a Force?

1. What is biomechanics?

Biomechanics is the study of how living organisms, including humans, move and interact with their environment using principles of physics and mechanics.

2. Why is biomechanics important?

Biomechanics is important because it helps us understand and improve human performance, prevent injuries, and design better equipment and tools.

3. How is biomechanics used in sports?

Biomechanics is used in sports to analyze and improve techniques, prevent injuries, and design equipment such as shoes, rackets, and helmets.

4. What tools and techniques are used in biomechanics?

Some tools and techniques used in biomechanics include motion capture systems, force plates, electromyography, and computer simulations.

5. Can biomechanics be applied to other areas besides sports?

Yes, biomechanics can be applied to other areas such as rehabilitation, ergonomics, and prosthetics to improve human movement and function.