What is the Final Velocity of the 18 kg Rock After Collision in Space?

P_i=m_1v1+m_2v2P_f=m_1v1f+m_2v2fIn summary, the problem involves a collision between a 4 kg rock with initial velocity < 4000, -2800, 3400 > m/s and an 18 kg rock with initial velocity < 250, -290, 260 > m/s. After the collision, the 4 kg rock's velocity is < 3600, -2300, 3900 > m/s. The final velocity of the 18 kg rock can be found using the momentum principle, by equating the initial and final momenta. The velocities should be written in vector form to solve the problem
syjxpatty

Homework Statement

In outer space a rock with mass 4 kg, and velocity < 4000, -2800, 3400 > m/s, struck a rock with mass 18 kg and velocity < 250, -290, 260 > m/s. After the collision, the 4 kg rock's velocity is < 3600, -2300, 3900 > m/s.
What is the final velocity of the 18 kg rock?

Homework Equations

Momentum Principle

pf = pi + Fnetdeltat

The Attempt at a Solution

Please help me if you can! I am pretty frustrated with this problem and I don't know why I am getting it wrong! I used the momentum principle, but it hasnt worked since this is a collision problem. Should I use that the final speed for the 18kg rock is v2f = 2(m/M)v1i

v2 being the final velocity of 18kg
v1 being the initial velocity of 4kg

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, Write the velocities in vector form. Like for 4 Kg rock, initial velocity will be

[tex]V_4=4000i-2800j+3400k[/tex]

Then apply

[tex]P_i=P_f[/tex]

I can provide a response to this problem by using the principles of momentum and conservation of energy. In this scenario, we have two rocks colliding with each other in outer space. The initial velocities and masses of both rocks are given, and we are asked to find the final velocity of the 18 kg rock after the collision.

To solve this problem, we can use the momentum principle, which states that the total momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external force. In this case, we can consider the two rocks as a closed system, where the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision.

Using the equation for momentum, we can write:

pf = pi

Where pf is the final momentum of the system and pi is the initial momentum of the system. We can also express momentum as the product of mass and velocity:

pf = m1v1f + m2v2f

pi = m1v1i + m2v2i

Where m1 and m2 are the masses of the two rocks, and v1i, v1f, v2i, and v2f are the initial and final velocities of the two rocks, respectively.

Substituting the given values in the equations, we get:

(18 kg)(v2f) = (4 kg)(3600 m/s) + (18 kg)(250 m/s)

Solving for v2f, we get:

v2f = 400 m/s

Therefore, the final velocity of the 18 kg rock after the collision is < 400, -280, 260 > m/s.

We can also use the conservation of energy principle to solve this problem. In a closed system, the total energy remains constant. Therefore, we can equate the initial kinetic energy of the system to the final kinetic energy of the system.

Using the equation for kinetic energy, we can write:

KEi = KEf

Where KEi is the initial kinetic energy of the system and KEf is the final kinetic energy of the system. We can express kinetic energy as 1/2mv^2:

1/2m1v1i^2 + 1/2m2v2i^2 = 1/2m1v1f^2 + 1/2m2v2f^2

Substituting the given values, we get:

1/2

Related to What is the Final Velocity of the 18 kg Rock After Collision in Space?

What causes collisions of rocks in space?

Collisions of rocks in space are primarily caused by gravitational forces between objects. These forces can be influenced by the size, mass, and trajectory of the objects, as well as other factors such as solar wind and the presence of other nearby objects.

How often do collisions of rocks in space occur?

Collisions of rocks in space occur frequently, but the exact frequency depends on the size and location of the objects involved. Smaller objects, such as debris and meteoroids, may collide more frequently than larger objects like planets.

What happens when rocks collide in space?

When rocks collide in space, they can undergo a variety of outcomes. Depending on the size and speed of the colliding objects, they may break apart or merge together. These collisions can also release energy in the form of heat, light, and sound.

Can collisions of rocks in space have an impact on Earth?

Yes, collisions of rocks in space can have an impact on Earth. While most objects burn up in Earth's atmosphere before reaching the surface, larger objects like asteroids and comets can cause significant damage upon impact. However, the likelihood of a catastrophic collision is extremely low.

How do scientists study and predict collisions of rocks in space?

Scientists use various methods to study and predict collisions of rocks in space. These include telescopes, space probes, computer simulations, and mathematical models. By tracking the trajectories of known objects and monitoring potential hazards, scientists can make predictions and potentially prevent a catastrophic collision.