What is the final voltage that a capacitor charges towards?

In summary: I don't know the voltage. But, as you said, that's only one that makes sense. Thank you!Option C is not correct.
VaishnaviRam
The related question says:http://[ATTACH=full]199761[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]199762[/ATTACH]

The capacitor 1 is initially charged by having the flying lead attached to point C. Then, the flying lead is moved to point D. Capacitor 1 discharges.

C2 has no charge intially.

When the [B]flying lead is attached to D[/B], which one of these statements is true?

[LIST]
[*]Current flows from Y to C2
[*]Current flows from C2 to Y
[*]There is no current flowing between C2 and Y
[/LIST]
Explain why you have chosen this option.

I think it is option C. Because the path R2 and C2 the current could take has higher resistance than the current just passing through R2. But, my question is wouldn't the C2 get charged and hence making it the second option true.? Please help.

Attachments

• PLAIN]%20[Broken].jpg
    PLAIN]%20[Broken].jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 127
  • 11blsuq.jpg
    11blsuq.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 124
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
First off, do you not understand the concept of a voltage divider? Second off, do you think the cap C2 is an open circuit when you first move the switch to D ?

Also, your image doesn't show up for me.

phinds said:
First off, do you not understand the concept of a voltage divider? Second off, do you think the cap C2 is an open circuit when you first move the switch to D ?

Also, your image doesn't show up for me.

Yes. I know what a voltage divider is. But, how can you apply that on capacitors?
Plus, I think it is a closed circuit. But, wouldn't some current flow through capacitor 2 as that path has less resistance?

VaishnaviRam said:
Yes. I know what a voltage divider is. But, how can you apply that on capacitors?
Plus, I think it is a closed circuit. But, wouldn't some current flow through capacitor 2 as that path has less resistance?
If it is a closed circuit, how can current NOT flow through it?

phinds said:
If it is a closed circuit, how can current NOT flow through it?

Is this theory correct, Sir? current always passes through a path that low resistance. Since resistor has a resistance. Would it pass through Y to Capacitor 2? Is this correct?

VaishnaviRam said:
I think it is option C. Because the path R2 and C2 the current could take has higher resistance than the current just passing through R2.

Option C is not correct.

If you have two parallel paths electricity doesn't just take one with the least resistance - it's shared in proportion. So even if the C2 path has higher resistance than the R2 path some will still flow into C2.

But, my question is wouldn't the C2 get charged and hence making it the second option true.? Please help.

C2 would be charged (at least for awhile) but option 2 says "Current flows from C2 to Y". That's not correct.

Typically when a capacitor charges through a resistor you get a voltage curve that is asymptotic towards the supply voltage. That's not true in this case. What voltage is C2 charging towards?

CWatters said:
Option C is not correct.

If you have two parallel paths electricity doesn't just take one with the least resistance - it's shared in proportion. So even if the C2 path has higher resistance than the R2 path some will still flow into C2.
C2 would be charged (at least for awhile) but option 2 says "Current flows from C2 to Y". That's not correct.

Typically when a capacitor charges through a resistor you get a voltage curve that is asymptotic towards the supply voltage. That's not true in this case. What voltage is C2 charging towards?

I don't know the voltage. But, as you said, that's only one that makes sense. Thank you!

CWatters said:
Option C is not correct.

Can you also summarise a reason why?

To see what the final voltage that a particular capacitor is aiming for, as a general rule you an imagine: if that capacitor were not in the circuit what would be the voltage across the two points where we see it connected. Then that will be the voltage it is charging towards.

If you thoughtfuly apply that concept here, you'll get the answer.

FAQ: What is the final voltage that a capacitor charges towards?

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy. It is made up of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, known as a dielectric. When a voltage is applied to a capacitor, it charges up and can then release the stored energy when needed.

2. How does a capacitor work?

A capacitor works by storing electrical charge on its plates. When a voltage is applied, one plate becomes positively charged and the other becomes negatively charged. This creates an electric field between the plates, allowing the capacitor to store energy. When the capacitor is connected to a circuit, it can release this stored energy, known as capacitance, to power the circuit.

3. What is the role of a capacitor in a circuit?

The role of a capacitor in a circuit is to store and release electrical energy. It can act as a temporary power source, smoothing out voltage fluctuations and providing a stable supply of energy. Capacitors are commonly used in electronic devices like radios, computers, and cameras.

4. How do you calculate the capacitance of a capacitor?

The capacitance of a capacitor can be calculated using the equation C = Q/V, where C is the capacitance in farads (F), Q is the charge stored on the plates in coulombs (C), and V is the voltage across the capacitor in volts (V). The capacitance is also affected by the size and material of the plates, the distance between them, and the type of dielectric used.

5. What are the different types of capacitors?

There are several types of capacitors, including ceramic, electrolytic, film, and variable capacitors. Ceramic capacitors are small and inexpensive, but have a lower capacitance range. Electrolytic capacitors have a higher capacitance range and are commonly used in power supply circuits. Film capacitors have a high tolerance for temperature and frequency changes. Variable capacitors have a variable capacitance and are used for tuning in radio and television receivers.