What is the Fine-Structure Constant and its Relation to Gravity?

• Thread starter rubi32
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Model
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of gravity and how it is still a mystery to mankind. The Newtonian view of gravity is not accurate, and Einstein's general relativity model is currently thought to be more accurate. However, the mechanical properties of space-time, such as its representation as a single fabric and the concept of mass warping it, are still not fully understood. The conversation also mentions the misconception of the "rubber sheet" analogy and suggests seeking out better resources for understanding general relativity.
yogi said:
If i write a statement f = Gmm'/r^2 and let G = 1, then to get get a meaningful answer in terms of ntn, all the information must be encoded into the masses because kgm squared over meters squared does not equal force. You would have to write each mass in terms of an effective acceleration to the 1/2 power.
Actually, you would get dimensions of M=L³/T².

yogi said:
My point is that alpha is consternation - we really don't know what has been canceled out to form the ratio. Alpha is a prime example of information lost
I disagree entirely. The fine structure constant is not information lost, it is the only physical information that was ever there to begin with. The other stuff is just units, not physical information.

You still seem to think that the stuff being canceled out has some intrinsic physical information, it does not. Only the ratio has physics content. Furthermore, the fine structure constant is the coupling constant in QED, so it has meaning on its own.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
DaleSpam said:
Actually, you would get dimensions of M=L³/T².

I disagree entirely. The fine structure constant is not information lost, it is the only physical information that was ever there to begin with. The other stuff is just units, not physical information.

You still seem to think that the stuff being canceled out has some intrinsic physical information, it does not. Only the ratio has physics content. Furthermore, the fine structure constant is the coupling constant in QED, so it has meaning on its own.

If I told you the fine structure constant can be formed with different constants would you believe me?

Sure. I am well aware of that fact.

DaleSpam said:
Sure. I am well aware of that fact.

That answer surprised me - can you tell me what constants were used that you are aware of - or give me a link to the derivation.

DaleSpam said:
See the first equation in the definition section
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fine-structure_constant

Thanks Dale - I also surfed around for some info on deriving alpha from mechanical constants ...one author came up with an interesting approach starting with the ratio of e to G - but unfortunately in the end it didn't turn out to shed any light upon the nature of q which was what I was looking for to bolster my argument re lost information.