What Is the Flux Through a Disk-Shaped Area in a Solenoid?

In summary: Also, in your book it says that the area is 7.40uWb. Can you tell me what that is in cm?The area is 0.074cm^2
flyingpig

Homework Statement

Calculate the flux through the surface of a disk-shaped area of radius R = 5.00 cm that is
positioned perpendicular to and centered on the axis of the solenoid as shown below

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\oint \vec{B} \cdot \vec{dA} = \Phi_{B}[/tex]

[tex]\vec{B} = \frac{\mu_0 I N}{l}[/tex]

[tex]\vec{B} \cdot (\pi R^2 l) = \Phi_{B} [/tex]

[tex]2\mu_0 \pi INR^2 = 7.106 \times 10^{-5}Wb[/tex]

My book has 7.40uWb.

For my "surface area", I had [tex]\pi r^2[/tex] for the circle and I times it by l because that's how long the cylinder is. I know that is volume but I already tried other possible "areas" like just πr2 and 2πrl

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you forgot to attach the diagram. Based on your description alone, I think your solution is correct, except that area should be pi*r^2 instead of pi*r^2*l. (I know you already tried that, but unless the diagram shows something I haven't considered, it should definitely be correct.)

ideasrule said:
I think you forgot to attach the diagram. Based on your description alone, I think your solution is correct, except that area should be pi*r^2 instead of pi*r^2*l. (I know you already tried that, but unless the diagram shows something I haven't considered, it should definitely be correct.)

My idiocy is truly unparalleled

http://img857.imageshack.us/i/78891006.png/

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by a moderator:
The figure does indeed show something I haven't considered. B is 0 outside of the solenoid, so the effective area you should use in calculating the flux should be the cross-sectional area of the solenoid. Are you given that value?

Yeah just let me wash my hands first because I was eating and writing at the same time and I just spilled my drink...

Yup, the radius of the solenoid is r = 1.25cm. The length of the of the solenoid is 30.0cm, the current through it is 12A and there are 300 turns

So have you tried using pi*r^2 as your area, with r=1.25 cm?

Yes I got the answer I forgot to note that lol sorry

Related to What Is the Flux Through a Disk-Shaped Area in a Solenoid?

1. What is Gauss's Law in Magnetism?

Gauss's Law in Magnetism is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the magnetic field to the sources of magnetic fields, such as electric currents or magnetic materials.

2. How is Gauss's Law in Magnetism mathematically expressed?

Gauss's Law in Magnetism is expressed as ∇ ⋅ B = 0, where ∇ is the divergence operator and B is the magnetic field.

3. What is the significance of Gauss's Law in Magnetism?

Gauss's Law in Magnetism helps in understanding and predicting the behavior of magnetic fields. It also provides a mathematical tool for calculating the strength of magnetic fields due to different sources.

4. Can Gauss's Law in Magnetism be applied to all magnetic fields?

Yes, Gauss's Law in Magnetism can be applied to all types of magnetic fields, including those due to permanent magnets, electric currents, or magnetic materials.

5. How is Gauss's Law in Magnetism related to Gauss's Law in Electrostatics?

Gauss's Law in Magnetism is similar to Gauss's Law in Electrostatics in that both involve the divergence of a vector field. However, in Gauss's Law in Magnetism, the vector field is the magnetic field, while in Gauss's Law in Electrostatics, the vector field is the electric field.