What is the focal length of the second lens in an afocal system?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a convex lens to image an object at a certain distance and the use of a second lens to further manipulate the image. It also explores the relationship between the focal lengths of the lenses and the distance between them. Ultimately, the question is posed about the focal length of the second lens needed to compensate for the first lens and form an image at the same location as the original object. This type of lens system is known as an afocal system.
Lunar_Lander

Homework Statement

An object at a distance a1 in front of a convex lens with the focal length f1 is imaged at a distance b1. A second lens at the distance d from the first lens with the focal length f2 is then imaging this Image with the image distance b2.

a) Give the image distance b1 as a function of f1 and a1, as well as the image distance b2 as function of d, a1, f1 and f2.

b) What is the focal length of a System of two lenses which distance d approaches zero?

c) Which focal length must the second lens in b) have to compensate the action of the first lens? How is such a lens called?

Homework Equations

Lens equations, fs=(f1*f2)/(f1+f2).

The Attempt at a Solution

For b) I have found the equation given above. How can I figure out c)? I think it is an afocal system, is that correct? For that, the focal length must be f2=d-f1?

Physics news on Phys.org
For clarification, here is a picture of the system I am asking about.

Attachments

• Lens System.png
    Lens System.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 429
If I interpret the question in part (c) correctly, the image formed by lens #2 must be located at the original object. The usual equation relating object, image, and focal length can be used to work out what f2 must be to achieve this.

I'm not sure what the name is for such a lens, sorry.

FAQ: What is the focal length of the second lens in an afocal system?

1. What is a system of two lenses?

A system of two lenses refers to a combination of two lenses that are used together to focus and magnify an object. This system is often used in optical devices such as telescopes, microscopes, and cameras.

2. How does a system of two lenses work?

A system of two lenses works by using the principle of refraction, where light passes through the lenses and bends to create an image. The first lens, called the objective lens, collects and focuses the light, while the second lens, called the eyepiece, magnifies the image created by the first lens.

3. What are the advantages of using a system of two lenses?

The main advantage of using a system of two lenses is that it allows for greater magnification and sharper focus compared to using a single lens. This is because each lens can compensate for the limitations of the other, resulting in a clearer and more detailed image.

4. What factors affect the performance of a system of two lenses?

The performance of a system of two lenses can be affected by several factors, including the quality and design of the lenses, the distance between the lenses, and the type of light being used. Other factors such as dust or scratches on the lenses can also affect the performance.

5. How do you calculate the magnification of a system of two lenses?

The magnification of a system of two lenses can be calculated by dividing the focal length of the objective lens by the focal length of the eyepiece. For example, if the objective lens has a focal length of 20mm and the eyepiece has a focal length of 5mm, the magnification would be 20/5 = 4x. This means that the image viewed through the system of two lenses would appear four times larger than the original object.