What is the Force of Friction on a Block Being Pulled at Constant Velocity?

In summary, in this conversation about a block of wood being pulled across a rough surface at a constant velocity, it is determined that the force of friction is equal to the pulling force of 20 N. This is because the net force on the block is zero since there is no acceleration, and the two relevant forces (tension and kinetic friction) must add up to zero. Therefore, the force of friction is 20 N.
LBP

Homework Statement

A block of wood is pulled by a horizontal string across a rough surface at a constant velocity with a force of 20 N. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the surfaces is 0.3. The force of friction is
A) impossible to determine without knowing the mass of the block.
B) impossible to determine without knowing the speed of the block.
C) 0.3N
D) 6N
E) 20N

I thought the answer would be A but it is apparently E but I'm not sure why.

Homework Equations

Static Friction= Mu(s)*(Normal Force)
Kinetic Friction=Mu(k)*(Normal Force)
Normal force=m*g

The Attempt at a Solution

From similar problems I started by trying to figure out if the block is moving by comparing the kinetic friction to the pulling force. However to get that I am missing the mass of the block (Kinetic friction=0.3*(m)*9.81). I am obviously thinking about this wrong. Any guidance?

Physics news on Phys.org
The velocity is constant. What does that tell you?

It would seem that there are no forces acting on the block if there is a constant velocity.

LBP said:
It would seem that there are no forces acting on the block if there is a constant velocity.
There are certainly forces acting on the block (you're told that), but the net force is zero.

what is Newton's 1st law? Be worth having a think about it

They are correct! You don't have to worry about us (static friction) in this problem though. Static friction is when the velocity and/or acceleration is not constant or mainly when you are trying to start an object, the us will be greater then uk. If the acceleration is constant there are forces acting on it but the net force is zero. Remember for future problems that due to calculus there are a lot of problems that can be solve with very little info. With knowledge of kinematics, dynamics, calculus, and then with a little practice of "rearranging" equations you will be surprised how much you can solve ;)

So to make sure I understand this: no net force doesn't mean there is no movement, but rather no acceleration. And since there is no acceleration there is no "force hump" to get over so there is no frictional force. Then since forces have equal and opposite reaction forces the velocity is equal to the Kinetic friction? Though if that's true why isn't it the negative velocity?

LBP said:
So to make sure I understand this: no net force doesn't mean there is no movement, but rather no acceleration.
Correct.
And since there is no acceleration there is no "force hump" to get over so there is no frictional force.
No. If there were no friction, then the block would accelerate since it's being pulled.
Then since forces have equal and opposite reaction forces the velocity is equal to the Kinetic friction? Though if that's true why isn't it the negative velocity?
(1) All forces have equal and opposite reaction forces, but that's not relevant here.
(2) A velocity is not a force!

Hint for this problem: What forces act on the block? (Only two are relevant.) What must they add to?

Earlier I meant to say there would be no Static friction, not any friction at all. Is that correct?

The two forces are Tension or pulling force and kinetic friction. They must add to 0 if there are no other forces, meaning they are equal to each other?

LBP said:
Earlier I meant to say there would be no Static friction, not any friction at all. Is that correct?
Yes. It will be kinetic friction, not static friction.
The two forces are Tension or pulling force and kinetic friction. They must add to 0 if there are no other forces, meaning they are equal to each other?
Exactly!

Related to What is the Force of Friction on a Block Being Pulled at Constant Velocity?

1. What is the force of friction?

The force of friction is a resistive force that opposes the motion of an object. It is caused by the interactions between the surfaces of two objects that are in contact with each other.

2. How do you calculate the force of friction?

The force of friction can be calculated using the formula F = μN, where F is the force of friction, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force exerted by one surface on the other.

3. What factors affect the force of friction?

The force of friction is affected by the type of surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the normal force between the surfaces. The coefficient of friction also plays a role, which is dependent on the materials and conditions of the surfaces.

4. How does the force of friction impact motion?

The force of friction can either increase or decrease the motion of an object. It can slow down a moving object or prevent an object from moving at all. In some cases, friction can also be beneficial, such as in the case of car brakes, where it helps to slow down the vehicle.

5. Can the force of friction be reduced?

Yes, the force of friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between the surfaces in contact. This reduces the roughness and allows for smoother movement. Reducing the normal force can also decrease the force of friction.

Back