What is the force of tension in a string connecting two revolving satellites?

In summary, the problem involves two satellites of equal mass revolving around a planet, connected by a string. The radii of their orbits are r and 2r, and the string keeps their periods of revolution equal. To find the force of tension in the string, the formula for Kepler's 3rd law is used, as well as the formula for centripetal acceleration and Newton's 2nd law. After solving for the unknown values, the correct result for the force of tension is found to be F_T= 3*m*M*G/8/r^2.
jhoge

Homework Statement

Two satellites connected by a string revolve in concentric circular orbits of radius r and 2r
Two satellites of equal masses m revolve around the planet of mass M. The satellites have extremely small mass compared to the planet, m≪M. The radii of the orbits of the satellites are r and 2r. The satellites are connected by a light string, directed along the radius of the orbit, that keeps their periods of revolution equal. Find the force of tension Fτ in the string.

Homework Equations

I first drew an FBD and wrote the Newton's Second Law equations for both satellites, keeping in mind circular motion: (equation 1 corresponds to the inner satellite, and 2 to the outer)

(1) ∑ F = m(a_c1) = F_g1 - Fτ

(2) ∑ F = m(a_c2) = F_g2 + Fτ

Also, since I am given that the periods of revolution are constant, I used the following formula's defining the period:

(Kepler's 3rd law) T^2 = 4*pi^2*α^3/(G*M)
[α is the semi-major axis of an elliptical orbit... in this case either of the two given radii]
[ G is the universal gravitational constant, but can be expressed simply as G for the sake of the problem.]

and T = 2*pi*r/v_orbital, which can also be written as 2*pi/√(a_c/r)

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the two equations for the period to determine a value for a_c1 (i chose to work with the inner sattellite, so α = r..)

Thus:

T^2 = 4*pi^2*α^3/(G*M) = 4*pi^2*r/a_c1, given that α = r

we should get 4*pi^2*r^3/(G*M) = 4*pi^2*r/a_c1

--> G*M/r^2 = a_c

The issue with this is that if this is indeed the centripetal acceleration, then Fτ = zero when I plug the centripetal acceleration into equation (1)..

I'm stumped. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
forgot to include photo

here's a picture of the problem

Attachments

• tethered_satellites.jpg
    tethered_satellites.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 460
Kepler's laws hold for an orbiting object which is only subject to the gravitational force from the object it orbits. Is the only force on either object gravity?
Hint: The law would also give different periods for the two satellites, and you have already stated they should be the same...

There are two forces acting upon each mass: the gravitational force due to the planet and the tension force of the tether connecting them. I guess this would mean that I cannot use kepler's equation for period then... In that case, how can I endeavor to find the centripetal acceleration?

Last edited:
also thank you for the prompt response

What is the acceleration needed for an object to stay in a circular orbit? How can you relate this to the forces acting on the satellites?

the acceleration needed for an object to stay in circular orbit is a_c = v^2/r. I related this to the forces acting upon the satellite through my Newton's second law equations, considering the sum of the forces acting upon the satellite to be equal to m*a_c

however this leaves me with a velocity that I cannot find..

What is the velocity of an object in circular orbit at radius r with period T? (Or angular velocity ω if you prefer - I know I do ...)

The velocity of an object in circular orbit at radius r with period T is v = 2*r/T, or for angular ω = 2*pi/T

but how can i use the period?

jhoge said:
The velocity of an object in circular orbit at radius r with period T is v = 2*r/T, or for angular ω = 2*pi/T

Well, circumference is 2 pi r, so you are missing a pi but it does not matter much. What can you say about the relation between the angular velocities/periods of the two satellites?

Hint: You have already said it ...

oh! thanks for pointing out the mistake. The fact that the satellites have the same period indicates that they have the same angular velocity. I feel like there is something that is blatantly obvious that I am missing :/

So what is the relation between the centripetal acceleration of each satellite and the angular velocity?

the centripetal acceleration of each satellite is going to be equal to ω^2*r, however I am lacking a value for ω, and I'm not sure how to find it.

That is the centripetal acceleration for the inner satellite. That of the outer is two times that because it is at a larger r. Now if only you had two separate formulas that contain these and one other unknown quantity ...

so i solved for ω^2*r using one of my equations and plugged that into the other to solve for tension. My result was F_T= 3*m*M*G/8/r^2, which is wrong according to the grader.

Can you show your equations and how you got there? It is not the same result as I obtained.

Likes 1 person
never mind, it was an algebra error! Thank you friend! I really appreciate the help :)

i reworked it, having left out a 2. This threw my answer off by a lot, because I didn't distribute it and so on.

Did anybody get the correct answer ?

Related to What is the force of tension in a string connecting two revolving satellites?

1. What is a period of tethered satellites?

A period of tethered satellites refers to the amount of time it takes for the satellites to complete one full orbit around a central body, while being connected by a tether. This period is dependent on the length of the tether, the mass of the satellites, and the gravitational force between them and the central body.

2. How do tethered satellites stay in orbit?

Tethered satellites maintain their orbit by utilizing the centrifugal force created by their orbital motion and the gravitational force between them and the central body. The tether acts as a tension element, keeping the satellites from drifting too far away from each other or from the central body.

3. What are the advantages of using tethered satellites?

The use of tethered satellites allows for a greater degree of maneuverability and control compared to traditional satellites. They also have the potential to generate electricity through the tether's movement, which can be used to power the satellites or be transmitted back to Earth.

4. How are tethered satellites launched into orbit?

Tethered satellites can be launched into orbit using a variety of methods, including being carried by a rocket or released from a space station. Special deployment mechanisms are often used to control the deployment of the tether and ensure proper separation of the satellites.

5. What are some potential applications for tethered satellites?

Tethered satellites have the potential to be used for a variety of purposes, such as space exploration, satellite servicing, and space debris removal. They can also be used for communication and surveillance purposes, as well as for studying the dynamics of orbital systems.