What Is the Formal Charge on P in PBr3 and N in NBrI2

In summary: So, the correct formula isFormal charge = number of valence electrons-number of non-bonded electrons- 1/2 number of bonding electrons. In summary, the formal charges of P and N in PBr3 and NBrI2 respectively are both zero. This is because both compounds have a neutral charge, and the formal charge can be calculated by subtracting the number of non-bonded electrons and half the number of bonding electrons from the number of valence electrons. The formula used to calculate formal charge is: Formal charge = number of valence electrons-number of non-bonded electrons- 1/2 number of bonding electrons. In the given examples, the formal charges for P and N are both zero
wahaj

Homework Statement

find formal charge on P in PBr3 and N in NBrI2

Homework Equations

Formal charge = number of valence electrons-number of lone pairs- 1/2 number of bonding electrons

The Attempt at a Solution

FC on P = 5 - 1 - 3 = 1
FC on N = 5 - 1 - 3 = 1

these are wrong for some reason and I can't figure out. I know I have the lewis diagram correct for these molecules(I checked)

Physics news on Phys.org
How does the Lewis diagram help you here? I always calculated what I knew first and then balanced the molecule's charge by assigning the oxidation number of the unknown. In these examples, I would have assumed the halogens were -1 as you have and the P or N would have an equal but opposite charge.

NBrI2

Halides usually have charge of -1. The compound given is as neutral charge.
N, u
Br, -1
I, -1
I, -1
Total, 0.

Find u.

wahaj said:

Homework Statement

find formal charge on P in PBr3 and N in NBrI2

Homework Equations

Formal charge = number of valence electrons-number of electron pairs- 1/2 number of bonding electrons

The Attempt at a Solution

FC on P = 5 - 1 - 3 = 1
FC on N = 5 - 1 - 3 = 1

these are wrong for some reason and I can't figure out. I know I have the lewis diagram correct for these molecules(I checked)

The formal charges in both the cases is zero.
In your above formula for FC you wrote the second term as " number of electron pairs ",it should be " number of non-bonded electrons ".

As a scientist, it is important to always double-check your calculations and assumptions. In this case, it seems that the incorrect values for the formal charges may be due to a mistake in the number of valence electrons or the number of bonding electrons. It is important to carefully count and consider all electrons in the molecule, including any lone pairs and multiple bonds, in order to accurately determine the formal charge. It may also be helpful to use a periodic table to confirm the number of valence electrons for each atom. Additionally, it is important to remember that formal charge is a theoretical concept and may not always accurately reflect the true distribution of electrons in a molecule. It is always important to consider other factors, such as electronegativity and molecular geometry, when analyzing the properties of a molecule.

Related to What Is the Formal Charge on P in PBr3 and N in NBrI2

1. What is formal charge?

Formal charge is a way to determine the distribution of electrons in a covalent molecule or polyatomic ion. It is calculated by assigning all the shared electrons in a bond to the more electronegative atom and comparing the number of valence electrons each atom has in its neutral state.

2. How is formal charge calculated?

Formal charge is calculated by taking the number of valence electrons an atom has in its neutral state and subtracting half of the shared electrons in a bond and all of the unshared electrons. The sum of formal charges on all atoms in a molecule or ion should equal the overall charge of the species.

3. What does a positive formal charge indicate?

A positive formal charge indicates that an atom has lost electrons and is therefore more electron deficient. This can happen when a more electronegative atom pulls electrons away from the atom or when an atom loses electrons in a chemical reaction.

4. What does a negative formal charge indicate?

A negative formal charge indicates that an atom has gained electrons and is therefore more electron-rich. This can happen when an atom gains electrons from a less electronegative atom or when an atom gains electrons in a chemical reaction.

5. Why is formal charge important in chemistry?

Formal charge is important in chemistry because it helps us understand the distribution of electrons in a molecule or ion. It can also help predict the reactivity and stability of a species. Additionally, formal charge can be used to determine the most stable Lewis structure for a molecule or ion.