What is the formula for calculating the acceleration of a water jet?

In summary: Yes, the vwater in the momentum equation is the same as the vwater in the conservation of momentum equation. vwater = √(gh/2) in the momentum equation which...dm/dt = ρAvwater = ρA√(2gh) as you wrote.But the effective v of the water in the conservation of momentum equation is half of what you wrote. That's because you have to reference the c.g. of the water, not its front. And the speed of the c.g. of the jet as it evolves is only half the speed of the front. Thus vwater = √(gh/2) in the momentum equation which
Mike Wazowski
Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
wug11aS.png

I am stuck on C and D and E, any help would be appreciated!

The speed of the water (which is calculated in B) is 4.43 m/s

For C I think it might be law of conservation of momentum or use the formula P=(1/2)*rho*A*v^3 with P=FV and possibly F=ma?

I think D is just STUVA (s=ut+(1/2)at^2) where u=0 (I think). S=0 + (1/2)a4^2...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For c) you can find the thrust force more directly by T = m_ dot * v
Your approach for d) will work.

For (c) consider that the c.g. with respect to ground does not move.
So after 1 sec. how far does the vehicle move to the left? How far after 2 sec.?
Then you see why it accelerates and what the acceleration must be.

(d) is totally elementary after you have (c)

Mike: In your course, are you learning how to do macroscopic momentum balances on control volumes?

@Chestermiller - It's just an introductory course so its nothing that complicated yet

Thanks for all the feedback, I'll try the question again!

Mike Wazowski said:
@Chestermiller - It's just an introductory course so its nothing that complicated yet
All you need is conservation of linear momentum.

billy_joule said:
For c) you can find the thrust force more directly by T = m_ dot * v
Your approach for d) will work.
Just to tease, since as usual the OP has long dropped out - what is your v?

rude man said:
Just to tease, since as usual the OP has long dropped out - what is your v?
The water velocity found via the Bernoulli equation applied between the water surface and the outlet (also used to find the mass flow rate).

billy_joule said:
The water velocity found via the Bernoulli equation applied between the water surface and the outlet (also used to find the mass flow rate).
Well I would dispute that! :frown: . Were it so, the c.g. of the system would move in time with respect to the ground! Which it can't of course.

rude man said:
Well I would dispute that! :frown: . Were it so, the c.g. of the system would move in time with respect to the ground! Which it can't of course.
It'll find the correct instantaneous acceleration when velocity is zero and water has just begun to flow (and so c.g. hasn't moved ..yet), will it not?
Which is all we need for (d.
I agree that we'd need to apply a smarter approach if (d wasn't simplified.

billy_joule said:
It'll find the correct instantaneous acceleration when velocity is zero and water has just begun to flow (and so c.g. hasn't moved ..yet), will it not?
Which is all we need for (d.
I agree that we'd need to apply a smarter approach if (d wasn't simplified.
You can't compute the initial accelereation from data at t=0 only, since v is undefined until there is motion. You have to go to a small but finite amount of time. In (d) you assume the acceleration stays constant for 4 sec since that's what the problem is telling you to do.

The c.g. can't move ever, at least not until the water hits the ground, at which point some momentum is transferred to the ground (earth).

rude man said:
You can't compute the initial accelereation from data at t=0 only, since v is undefined until there is motion. You have to go to a small but finite amount of time.
I meant vwater, which we have from b).

rude man said:
The c.g. can't move ever, at least not until the water hits the ground, at which point some momentum is transferred to the ground (earth).
Yes, right. I should've said before the cart moves, not the overall CG.

So this is the method I had in mind, could you point out the error?
Thrust due to water:
vwater = √(2gh)
T = m_dotwater * vwater = ρAvwater2 = ρA(√(2gh))2 = 2ρAgh

Accelration of cart at t = 0
a = F/mcart = T/mcart = 2ρAgh / mcart = 0.0036 m/s2

billy_joule said:
I meant vwater, which we have from b).
Yes, right. I should've said before the cart moves, not the overall CG.
So this is the method I had in mind, could you point out the error?
Thrust due to water:
vwater = √(2gh)
T = m_dotwater * vwater = ρAvwater2 = ρA(√(2gh))2 = 2ρAgh
Accelration of cart at t = 0
a = F/mcart = T/mcart = 2ρAgh / mcart = 0.0036 m/s2
The issue I have with what you wrote is this:
dm/dt = ρAvwater = ρA√(2gh) as you wrote. Agreed.

But the effective v of the water in the conservation of momentum equation is half of what you wrote. That's because you have to reference the c.g. of the water, not its front. And the speed of the c.g. of the jet as it evolves is only half the speed of the front.
Thus vwater = √(gh/2) in the momentum equation which is mcart dvcart/dt = vwater dmwater/dt.

This is easy to see if you think of the evolving system: in order for the c.g. of the system not to move, the distance from the starting point of the c.g. of the vehicle times its mass must always equal the distance from the same point to the c.g. of the water times its mass.

Make sense?

Related to What is the formula for calculating the acceleration of a water jet?

1. What is acceleration of water jet?

The acceleration of water jet refers to the rate of change in velocity of a jet of water. It is a measure of how quickly the water's speed increases as it travels through a nozzle or pump.

2. How is acceleration of water jet calculated?

The acceleration of water jet can be calculated using the equation a = (Vf - Vi)/t, where a is acceleration, Vf is final velocity, Vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What factors affect the acceleration of water jet?

The acceleration of water jet is affected by several factors, including the pressure and flow rate of the water, the size and shape of the nozzle, and any obstructions or friction in the path of the jet.

4. What is the significance of acceleration of water jet in practical applications?

The acceleration of water jet is important in many practical applications, such as in water jets used for cutting or cleaning, as it determines the speed and force of the water. It is also important in understanding the behavior of water in pumps and pipes.

5. How can the acceleration of water jet be increased?

The acceleration of water jet can be increased by increasing the pressure or flow rate of the water, using a smaller and more streamlined nozzle, and reducing any obstructions or friction in the path of the jet.