What is the formula for calculating the optical output power of an LED?

In summary, the conversation was about calculating the optical output power versus input electrical power for an LED in order to determine its relative wall plug efficiency. The formula for this calculation was provided, but the value of N was not known. The individual was seeking help in understanding how to calculate the optical output power and what to do with the value for distance between the photocell and the LED. It was explained that N cannot be easily determined and is not necessary for determining relative efficiency. The conversation also touched on the importance of understanding steradians and using a detector to measure light output in units of N.
daPoseidonGuy
Hi, i was doing a science project on LEDs, and i needed to calculate optical output power versus input electrical power to find relative wall plug efficiency.
This is the only good formula i found
Optical output power of LED (watts) =Nlinearfactor × Voltage drop across resistor (volts)
Pout = N × Vres
What is N exactly? I do not know how to calculate optical output power as I don't know what help is. Id appreciate help a lot, thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
daPoseidonGuy said:
Hi, i was doing a science project on LEDs, and i needed to calculate optical output power versus input electrical power to find relative wall plug efficiency.
Optical output power of LED (watts) =Nlinearfactor × Voltage drop across resistor (volts)
Pout = N × Vres
What is N exactly? I do not know how to calculate optical output power as I don't know what help is. Id appreciate help a lot, thanks.
Welcome to the PF.

I'd start with a good datasheet for a typical LED. There should be curves for optical output versus current. The old Hewlett Packard LED datasheets were especially complete. Can you post a link to a detailed LED datasheet that has some of the numbers you are looking for? :smile:

Heres a more complete post:
Pout = N × Vres
All the values I have are experimental. I am trying to calculate the relative wall plug efficiency of an LED. here's my data right now.
I do not have a data sheet and the steps I am following at this point are somewhat modeled of those shown here:
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_ideas/Energy_p003.shtml#procedure
in the testing and data collection section.

Voltage across resistor (V) ± .01 = 2.49

Distance from photocell to light (cm) ± .05 = 4.00

Voltage across light (V) ± .01 = 5.75

Current intensity (mA) ± .01 = 360
If N is just something I have to leave as a variable, then what is the point of measuring the distance between the photocell and the light bulb? In the experiment I moved the breadboard closer or further to get 2.5v across the resistor, as that's what I understood from the procedure. Was I supposed to do that? What do I do with the value for the distance between the photocell and light bulb?

Last edited:
that experiment doesn't give a value for N, only compares N for LED vs incandescent lamp.
Try this datasheet..http://www.vishay.com/docs/81011/tsal6400.pdf

and see if this helps you estimate N for that particular LED

upload_2015-12-27_14-55-57.png

good opportunity to learn about steradians .

Likes berkeman
From the project link:
N cannot be determined easily, as it depends on the light emission vs. angle for each source.

The project is
1. Build a light detector. Don't worry about the detector's N since we assume it is constant across all emitters.
2. Try different sources and calculate input power vs output power (efficiency) using the detector.

You don't really need to know N to determine relative efficiency of two different sources since they assume the detector's N is the same for all sources. They also assume the detector is 100% efficient, that is, it is detecting all the light from each source (or a similar fraction).
"Since you are not collecting all of the light at the light-to-voltage converter (some of the light goes off to the side), the calculation is relative."

When you take the ratio of the two sources, the N will cancel out.

In other words, you are sort of measuring light output in units of N. N goes away when you take ratios of two measurements.

If you want to measure the absolute power of a single emitter, you need to somehow calibrate the detector, which requires a known source, etc.

Likes berkeman and billy_joule

Related to What is the formula for calculating the optical output power of an LED?

What is the definition of optical output power of LED?

The optical output power of LED refers to the amount of light energy emitted by an LED device per unit time. It is measured in watts (W) or milliwatts (mW) and is an important parameter for determining the brightness and efficiency of an LED.

How is the optical output power of LED measured?

The optical output power of LED is typically measured using a power meter, which measures the amount of light energy emitted by the LED in a specific direction. This measurement is then converted to watts or milliwatts to determine the optical output power.

What factors affect the optical output power of LED?

The optical output power of LED can be affected by various factors such as the type and quality of the LED chip, the current and voltage applied, the temperature of the LED, and the efficiency of the LED driver circuit. Environmental factors such as dust or dirt on the LED can also impact the optical output power.

Why is the optical output power of LED important?

The optical output power of LED is important because it directly affects the brightness and efficiency of the LED. A higher optical output power means a brighter LED, while a lower output power may result in a dimmer light source. It is also a critical factor in determining the lifespan of an LED.

What is the typical range of optical output power for LEDs?

The typical range of optical output power for LEDs can vary greatly depending on the type and size of the LED. However, most LEDs have an optical output power ranging from a few milliwatts to a few watts. High-power LEDs can have an output power of several hundred watts.