What is the formula for finding the speed of ions in a heated plasma?

• Thread starter Drakkith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ions Speed
In summary, the individual is seeking help in finding the velocity of positive ions in a deuterium plasma that is heated to 15keV. They are unsure of which equations to use and have attempted using the kinetic energy formula, but have encountered issues with the conversion of units. Another individual suggests using the formula v = \sqrt{2E/m} and keeping the units in eV to obtain the speed in units of c. The conversation also touches on the rules for dividing powers with unlike exponents.
Drakkith
Mentor
First off, this isn't a homework problem, but something I am trying to figure out on my own. I figured there wasn't a better place in the forums to ask though.

Homework Statement

I'm trying to find the velocity of positive ions in a deuterium plasma that is heated to 15keV.

Homework Equations

I'm not sure of the correct ones to use. I've tried the following.
1 eV = 1.602176487(40)×10−19 J
Ke=1/2MV*2

The Attempt at a Solution

I've found the mass of dueterium as about 3.3444 x 10*-27 Kg.
Converting 15keV to J gives me 24032.647305 x 10*-19 J.
Plugging this into the kinetic energy formula doesn't work very well, as i get a V of less than 1. Am I not converting 15keV to the right amount of joules? I don't know if the temp in eV would convert directly to Joules.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Better check that calc. Doing v = sqrt(2E/m) you'll have 10^-15 in the numerator and 10^-27 in the denominator. That gives the square root of 10^12 or roughly 1 million m/s for the velocity.

Delphi51 said:
Better check that calc. Doing v = sqrt(2E/m) you'll have 10^-15 in the numerator and 10^-27 in the denominator. That gives the square root of 10^12 or roughly 1 million m/s for the velocity.

Just to make an observation. If you use [tex]v = \sqrt{2E/m}[/tex], you can leave everything in eV to obtain the speed in units of [tex]c[/tex].

Delphi51 said:

It's been a long time since I did any serious math. Whats the rules again when you have to mulitply and divide with unlike exponents?

To divide powers with the same base, keep the same base and subtract the exponents.
10^3 divided by 10^-2 is 10^(3 - -2) = 10^(3+2) = 10^5

fzero said:
Just to make an observation. If you use [tex]v = \sqrt{2E/m}[/tex], you can leave everything in eV to obtain the speed in units of [tex]c[/tex].

yes, since when you report the mass in energy units you refer to the rest energy of the particle:

[tex]
E_{0} = m c^{2}
[/tex]

and the formula is:

[tex]
v = \sqrt{\frac{2 K}{m}} = \sqrt{\frac{2 K c^{2}}{m c^{2}}} = c \, \sqrt{\frac{2 K}{m c^{2}}}
[/tex]

Here K is the kinetic energy.

FAQ: What is the formula for finding the speed of ions in a heated plasma?

What is the process for finding the speed of ions?

The process for finding the speed of ions involves using a mass spectrometer to measure the mass and charge of the ions, then using this information along with the electric and magnetic fields to calculate the velocity of the ions.

What factors affect the speed of ions?

The speed of ions can be affected by the mass and charge of the ions themselves, as well as the strength of the electric and magnetic fields they are being accelerated through. Other factors such as temperature and collisions with other particles can also play a role.

Why is it important to determine the speed of ions?

Determining the speed of ions can provide valuable information about the properties and behavior of these particles. It can also help in understanding chemical reactions and processes involving ions, as well as in the development of new technologies and materials.

What are some common techniques for measuring the speed of ions?

Some common techniques for measuring the speed of ions include time-of-flight mass spectrometry, laser-induced fluorescence, and ion mobility spectrometry. Each of these methods has its own advantages and limitations and may be used in different experimental setups.

Are there any challenges or limitations in finding the speed of ions?

Yes, there can be several challenges and limitations in finding the speed of ions. These can include experimental limitations, such as the accuracy and precision of the instruments being used, as well as theoretical limitations in accurately calculating the velocity of complex ions or in environments with varying electric and magnetic fields.